View Full Version : Great films...that none have heard of

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Eperitos
May 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
I thought it would be neat (I love that word) if there was a thread on great movies that are relatively unknown.

My pick for today is a German Film called Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt). I'm not sure how big it was in Europe (please don't crucify me if it was big), But state-side its not exactly well known.

I'm going to do a complete disservice to the movie by trying to explain what its about, but here goes. Its about a women (Lola) whose boyfriend (Manni) was involved in some seedy precious stones deal only he loses the 100,000 marks that he was paid for them. He is expected to meet his boss at twelve to give the money to him. To persuade her boyfriend not to rob a supermarket Lola tells her boyfriend that she will come up with the money. The only problem is she only has twenty minutes to do it.

Yeah its sounds like crap, but its hard explain things about the movie without giving to much away. Basically the movie is about love, fate, and how small seemingly insignificant things can dramatically alter the course of our lives.

And anyway the great soundtrack alone makes it worth seeing this movie.

Leiali
May 23rd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Run Lola Run is a very popular film - I've never seen it but I know a lot of people who love it. I would like to nominate 'Zu Warriors' which I have only seen a small amount of but was so funny, and so good, it was branded in my mind. It is a straightforward martial arts film, and the best bit was the master warrior fighting a demon with his eyebrows. Brilliant.

saintjon
May 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
there seems to be a depressing lack of people who've seen Boondock Saints, which is a disease I"ve cured wherever I've found it :D.

Ouroboros
May 23rd, 2005, 01:53 PM
'Run Lola Run' was pretty big all over europe, it got a general release here ... unusual for a german film.

A great german movie which didn't (but deserved one) is 'Das Experiment' which is a fictionalised account of the 70s Standford university prison experiments where ordinary people assumed the roles of prisoners and wardens. Things degenerated within a matter of days, and the experiment was ended prematurely. In the movie, things go somewhat farther before hitting the wall.

Eldanuumea
May 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Oscar and Lucinda.......this film introduced Cate Blanchett, and also stars Ralph Fiennes and Ciaran Hinds. Unbelievably good, with one of Thomas Newman's finest scores, yet no one has heard of it.
IMHO, both Blanchett and Fiennes should have received Oscar nominations for their work here, but that was the year of the great juggernaut, Titanic.

Eurytus
May 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Zu Warriors is a totally bonkers film and yes, few have ever watched it.
The first time I ever saw it was late on a day during the xmas holidays on Channel 4. I had something to drink previously and was very tired. When I got to the end of the film I was never sure if I had actually seen it, I suspected that my memories of it must have been alcohol induced dreams after I dozed off. Getting in on DVD many years later I realised that they weren’t. A guy actually does tie up a demon with his eyebrows.

p.s. Zu Warriors was a massive influence on Big Trouble in Little China

Not as good as Mr Vampire though. Imagine a cross between a kung fu film, very cheesy Hammer House of Horror and hints of a Carry On.
As good as it sounds.

My tip is going to be Ravenous. Comparatively underseen movie and yet completely brilliant in my opinion. As is the first Ginger Snaps, also hardly seen.
Oh and Lifeforce. Nakes Female Space Vampires that live in a spaceship that lies derelict behind Halley's Comet AND Zombies taking over London. Enough said.

Not sure if it is underseen but I would nominate The FisherKing by Terry Gilliam and also Starman by John Carpenter the latter one got very unfairly ignored on its cinema release in the aftermath of ET and is a real departure for Carpenter.

Zanzibar
May 24th, 2005, 11:31 AM
"Run, Lola, Run" and "The Fisher King" are both great nominations. I loved them. My pick would be a Martin Scorsese film called "After Hours", which is all about one man's problematic night in the Soho district of New York City. It's just one unfortunate happening after another and you can really empathise with the guy. He has crappy luck. Great movie though.

Eurytus
May 24th, 2005, 11:54 AM
"Run, Lola, Run" and "The Fisher King" are both great nominations. I loved them. My pick would be a Martin Scorsese film called "After Hours", which is all about one man's problematic night in the Soho district of New York City. It's just one unfortunate happening after another and you can really empathise with the guy. He has crappy luck. Great movie though.

That's a great movie. After that and American Werewolf I am a little surprised that Griffin Dunne did not get more work.

Solaar
May 24th, 2005, 12:57 PM
there seems to be a depressing lack of people who've seen Boondock Saints, which is a disease I"ve cured wherever I've found it :D.

My sister swears by that film!

My recommendations - City of God , Devil's Backbone and The Burbs !

All great films!

Solaar
the film nut

Quagmire
May 24th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I second City of God. I'm not sure if it's unheard of though. Didn't that get a couple of Oscar nominations?