SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gkarlives
May 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to forum posting and would like some help. I ran a couple of searches on publishing but did not come up with the type of information I am looking for. Like many of you I have a dream of getting something of mine published. However, most of my work to date is short story length fantasy at best and I really don't know enough places to submit such materials. I was hoping that someone could give me some information on magazines that would publish short stories.

I would also like any ideas on getting editorial help, because I do not know anyone who is willing to proof my stories. I have gone over my material a lot, but I really need an objective editorial view. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am hoping to spend more time getting to know people on this site and to share my views with people who love the SF and Fantasy genres. Thanks.

Gkarlives

Expendable
May 25th, 2005, 10:12 PM
What sort of short stories are you writing? Science Fiction? Fantasy? Both?

Here's links to some scifi and fantasy mags writer submissions pages:

Asmiov's Science Fiction Magazine
http://www.asimovs.com/info/us.shtml
- read the manuscript guidelines. Character oriented scifi, will accept boarderline scifi/fantasy but not sword and sorcery.

Analog
http://www.analogsf.com/information/submissions.shtml
- strong science in scifi stories.

Fantasy & Science Fiction
http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm
- prefer character oriented stories, hungry for sci fi and humor.

Gkarlives
May 25th, 2005, 10:54 PM
Contemporay Fantasy. I have most of the ones you have sited but Asimov and Analog as far as I know will not take Fantasy. Thanks anyhow. I have tried Realms of Fantasy magazine and I believe Analog.

Expendable
May 25th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Contemporary fantasy, ok - missed that earlier.

I can take a look at a short story if you like, or you can post one or two to the Community. Just remember to post a link in this thread so myself and others can look at your submission.

To get to the community, click on the Stories/Poems link just below sffworld.com at the top. If you decide you don't want a story in the Community (ie, submitting for a sale) you can take it off.

--Ex.

Gkarlives
May 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
My story was here.

I am going to post this one in the community once I figure it out.

I am having trouble getting the link to work. any advice would be appreciated. How do I get my HTML code option turned on. It is currently off. Look for "Above these, Love revised".

Gkarlives
May 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I don't know how to link a posted story from one section to my thread. Also, I am alittle leary of posting a whole story, but I did give a sample above. Cracy question, how do you get tabs in the text of these replys. I have the same problem with netzero e-mail. If I hit tab it knocks me out of the body of the text?

Expendable
May 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM
The tab key doesn't work in the posting window to move text but there is a button under the [Size] window to indent text. It's a good idea to highlight what you want indented and then press the button.

Mary had a little lamb;

its fleece as white as snow

You can find out more on how to use some of the functions here by reading the FAQ on Reading and Posting Messages. (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post)

Expendable
May 25th, 2005, 11:46 PM
The sun shown cold on the bleak remains of a once shining kingdom while dry powdery snow, driven by the piercing artic winds, drifted aimlessly over the broken earth. How can snow being driven by artic winds drift aimlessly? Opposite forces here.

You have some incredible imagery at work here, but the story is very condensed. More time is spent describing the winter than the enemy that destroyed the kingdom.

Where does this magic that shelter their bodies come from? What is the source of this sorcerous sleep? Do they spend the rest of their lives in a dreamlike state believing themselves to be gods?

Gkarlives
May 26th, 2005, 01:23 AM
I would have to give you the ending for you to fully get the idea. I intentionally place a lot of emphasis on the description of the aftermath and the results. I also am ambigous on the enemy for a reason, mostly for the surprise of the ending. I am misdirecting the reader. What I was worried about was typos, choppy structureing, sentence grammer, and over-all smoothness of the reading. There are times I feel the transition from one sentence to another is to abrupt and makes the reading choppy. I will think on the point you mentioned about the snow. I was trying for a lost feeling.

Expendable
May 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM
There are several abrupt changes but you're clear on typos.

You should start with the king shivering in the cold, glancing at his sleeping queen and reliving the moment they met, building up to the sudden attack by the invading army, the kingdom's desolation and the queen's falling into a deep sleep, finally to the last of the enemy leaving, his crawling to her side, sliding into sleep and into dreams. This offers a much smoother transition, drawing the reader in without alienating them. Add the magic, don't discuss the passage of years. Hint at restoration.

Then you've got yourself a prologue.