PDA

View Full Version : burning man in sf story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dw1797
May 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Racking my brains for title/author of short story or novella. There was some sort of teleportation device that would take you to varying locations on a post climate-change Earth(i think) and maybe through time too. One of the scenes featured the burning man festival and maybe an abandoned rocketship was another. I thought it was either a Dan Simmons or Charles Sheffield story or maybe I read it in Dozois' Year's Best SF but I can't track it down.

Anybody help?

fluffy bunny
May 30th, 2005, 06:44 AM
You're looking for The Stars My Destination (also goes by the name Tiger Tiger) by Alfred Bester. One of the classics of the genre

dw1797
May 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks, Fluffy. But what I'm thinking of was written much later than that.

Just for fun I googled Bester Demolished Man and came up with this. :) :)

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Alfred_Bester.htm

Looks like a good site.

It's years and years since I read both of Bester's books mentioned and had totally forgotten Tiger, Tiger. It certainly sounds like what I was looking for!

dw1797
May 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I've tracked it down myself. It's the long, long, long novel <i>Ilium</i> by Dan Simmons which is going to be followed by Olympos. It's got a great idea but I never finished it as, like Hyperion and Endymion before it which I did finish, it gets so bogged down in literary allusions that I just got bored with it. The Eloi thing is obvious but I missed the Bester thing if it was there at all.

Thanks.

Kamakhya
June 1st, 2005, 09:57 PM
Illium mentions Burning Man, as in the one in Black Rock Desert in Nevada? Wow. Now, I will have to read it.