PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I would like some feedback on a story if possible

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

zhardoum
November 6th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Pulled.. I was contacted by a publisher, who is interested, interested enough to wave a cheque under my nose, so I have pulled this at his request (since the monies cleared http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by zhardoum (edited November 10, 2001).]

Erebus
November 6th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Hi Zhardoum,

Please feel free to submit to us whatever you like - others have been submitting in chapters. With regard to the feedback on your story, placing this topic under the Writing section may get you better results, so I'm moving it there now. We usually discuss works already submitted here, but I'm sure a few of us will have the time to take a peek. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited November 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited November 06, 2001).]

zhardoum
November 9th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Latest chapters pulled as well,

Thanks for all you helpful comments ..NOT

Does anyone actually visit these boards..?

[This message has been edited by zhardoum (edited November 10, 2001).]

nicba
November 11th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Hello zhardoum.

Yes, someone DO visits the board. I feel that I got some good advice when I submitted a short story to this site some while ago.

If you look at the other requests for comments, posted about the same time as yours, you will also find quite a number of replies.

I think there's a number of reasons why your story got so little feedback (well, no feedback actually).

1) It was Science Fiction. I think this board have quite a heavy preference for fantasy.

2) It was submitted in a 'busy' period, lots of other stuff was posted around at about the same time.

3) It was LONG. If you look at the stuff the other guys submitted, it was only a couple of pages. Prologues and such. Yours was 3-4 entire chapters.

I must admit that I actually read the first 3 chapters a couple of days ago. But I never got around to posting a comment on them, Precisly because there was so much of it. I didn't feel that a short 1-paragraph reply would do it justice.

I must say that I thought your story was pretty good, but still could benefit from some editing in places. For some reason it reminded me a bit of David Weber's work. Maybe because I've been reading some of the Honor Harrington books lately.

But congratulations on the publisher interest! I hope it leads to a contract.

KATS
November 11th, 2001, 06:39 AM
zhardoum, like Nicba stated, longer submissions take longer to critique.

Remember that most of us are writers, which means that often we are working on our own stories instead of cruising the internet.

Personally my computer is down and I'm having to borrow a friends computer this weekend otherwise I'd be working on my book instead of writing this.

Instead of getting mad at all of us for not being able to respond to your request within your time frame, try being patient. Your recent comments lead me to believe you are a young person, so I'll try to cut you some slack.

I will say though that if a publisher is in fact interested in your story, I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: Well, I just checked out your website and you are apparently 31 years old? Come on, that's old enough to know better than to get so bent out of shape because we couldn't respond quickly to your request. I have better things to do today, I'm out of here.

[This message has been edited by KATS (edited November 11, 2001).]

James Barclay
November 11th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Don't understand why your publisher asked you to pull anything unless it's already in the exact state in which they plan to publish it (which I seriously doubt if they've only just waved this mighty cheque under your nose). If it isn't then they (and more importantly, YOU) should be happy to hear comment from people who might actually read it.

I'm glad you've got a pubisher interested but don't get ahead of yourself. No writer has ever learned all there is to know and constructive criticism is a fantastic source of learning.

Sorry no one posted but if you were a regular here, you'd know the time lag sometimes. C'est la vie.