View Full Version : Short Story Competition

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jacquin
June 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
At long last SFF is holding another Short Story Competition.

The last competitions were a great success and we hope you'll all join in again. The winner will not only have their story published in a special area of the site but will receive a signed copy of "The Twins", the first book in the Gemquest series by Gary Wassner.

All entries will be anonymised before judging so entry is open to everyone except me :(

For further details and the competition rules click here. (http://www.sffworld.com/news/135.html)

Now get writing and Good Luck!

Jacquin

JRMurdock
June 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Aw... come on Jaq. We don't know who you are. :D

Jacquin
June 7th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Unfortunately I'm fairly sure I do... :p

choppy
June 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM
I have some questions.

Is this an "enter as often as you wish" contest, or "1 submission per author" contest? (Not that I really have the time to write more than one - or even one in general right now.)

Is there a word limit? (Maybe I missed this in the rules?)

Alright - off to go brainstorm!

Jacquin
June 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
There is a limit of 3000 words on each entry but you can enter as many times as you want as long as the general SFFworld rules are followed.

J

yogi copeland
June 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
When do stories have to be sent and is it fine to do some horror comedy

Expendable
June 16th, 2005, 10:50 AM
August 31st with submissions going into your Community account. For more details click on the further details and competition rules link in the Jacquin's first post.

queenmegumi
June 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
::::sighs::::: I know I'm not the only one who's wondering, but I"LL ask.

What is meant exactly by speculative fiction? Is that just a fancy word for sci/fi fantasy? Does the story have the be like an alternative history theme? Am I just extreamly lame for even having to ask (don't answer that)?

I also wanted to clarify the number of entries. I see that I can enter as many times as I want, meaning what-- I can enter as many STORIES as I want (better to ask than submit and be all wrong about it). :p

Jacquin
June 16th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Ok, I'll try and clarify. (Thanks btw Expendable, though when did I become "the Jacquin"?)

Speculative fiction is used in this context as an umbrella term for Fantasy, Sci-fi, Horror and general weirdness. You can submit stories on any theme as long as they are not straight fiction. If you want to write a sci-fi tale about a zombie clown that's fine, if you want to write a traditional fairy tale about a Swiss Clock Maker that's cool too. Just don't write about how much you smoke and how the bloke in the office is coming on to you (unless of course you work in the office of an interstellar shipping company).

You can submit as many stories as you want, no-one will hold it against you if you submit hundreds. Every story has its identifying details removed before being given to one of the team of readers currently languishing in the basement of Hobbit Towers so the only person who will know (other than you and the all knowing Daigoro) is me.

The only thing I would add is a reminder to observe the word limit. I will happily give you a couple of hundred words leeway but if it is considerably over the limit I'm forced to withdraw it from the competition. It has happened twice already.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions then feel free to ask. If you simply want to offer me bribes I am keen on cake and beer. :D

J

MrBF1V3
June 18th, 2005, 02:44 AM
Can we have a side contest to see who can name the authors before the end of the contest? :)

I know of at least two people who probably can do it.

Cheers,
B5