PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Information Help?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SubZero61992
June 11th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Is there a website about weapons and the type of ammunition they use?
In particular, I want to know about the ammunition.
I want bullet information for pistols, sub-machine guns, and sniper ammo that can shoot through the thickest armor.

I know my most recent post have been short and maybe demanding, but I'm just not good with speeches.

TheEarCollector
June 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Who is "they"?

TheEarCollector
June 11th, 2005, 11:23 PM
On top of that there are really only two "types" of bullets... full metal jacket and hollow point. FMJ is an armor piercing round, hollow points shatter upon impact and rip through you.
Then there are magnum rounds, which just means that more gunpowder has been added to make the round more powerful... on top of that is the supermagnum.
The main difference between bullets is size.
Rifles, and assault rifles, tend to use either a 5.56mm (M16, SAW, most NATO weapons) or a 7.62mm (AK-47 I believe).
Submachineguns usually fire 9mm (the same type fired from many pistols), once again this is either FMJ or or hollow point.
Sniper rounds have a lot of variety...
The biggest round that comes out of a rifle is fired by the .50 cal Barrett, it's the same round that a .50 cal machinegun shoots. I have a picture of what it does to a human body (graphic) PM me if you have a morbid interest in it... Just to give you an idea of its power, the rifle is designed to shoot through tanks, armored vehicles, and into engine blocks to disable vehicles.

Look around there is plenty of info all over the internet. Look up the military, go to www.airborneranger.com and ask them, don't be afraid to look for something... That what search engines were designed for... And if you are writing a story feel free to make something up. Out.

Michael B
June 12th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I want bullet information for pistols, sub-machine guns, and sniper ammo that can shoot through the thickest armor.

In one series of books called "The Zone" a sniper has bullets that are tipped with depleted uranium. Alternatively if your plot is in a futuristic world, you could use a block of monofilament carbon.

Ouroboros
June 12th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Good information, ear collector, but I have a few minor quibbles (for subzero's benefit).

On top of that there are really only two "types" of bullets... full metal jacket and hollow point. FMJ is an armor piercing round, hollow points shatter upon impact and rip through you.

FMJ are not in and of themselves intended as 'armor piercing' rounds, although some FMJ rounds have an special core for this function. They are the original 'ball' round, and remain the easiest round to mass produce because they are essentially the same as straightforward lead rounds of the past, barring a metal jacketing that prevents a buildup of lead on the inside of the barrell when fired. Without the jacketing, you would need to do a pretty extensive cleaning job to counter this. FMJ rounds are the standard load of militaries around the world, as more effectively designed bullets are banned by international convention.

Next we have JHP (jacketed hollow point). Imagine a shallow saucer at the face of the round, as opposed to it finishing in the gentle point you usually think of. When the saucer indentation hits its target at high velocity, it causes it to peel back like a banana along the sides of the bullet. This increases the overall surface area, which has the effect of making the bullet seem to expand. The effect of this is that it crushes more tissue and makes a bigger hole which lets out more blood and lets in more air. JHP rounds come in many varieties and are extensively used in the private sector. They are not specifically designed to 'shatter' as ear collector says, although many rounds of whatever design will indeed fragment upon impact at high velocity.

There are many other varities of designs which are probably not worth getting into, many are specific to hunting or target shooting. Worth mentioning 'frangible' rounds, however, which may be what the ear collector was thinking of when he wrote about rounds which shatter / fragment. These are exotic rounds from firms like Magsafe, Glaser and Quik-shok which are specifically designed to disintegrate upon impact delivering their force into soft tissue within minimum penentration. They won't go through walls, people or even glass in some cases. They are typically very expensive and used in extreme close quarters where no 'shoot through' is desirable in order to preserve the lives of civillians in the vicinity.

The main difference between bullets is size.

Without getting into the details too much, this is essentially correct. In the past there have been schools of thought which suggested that velocity was as important, which led to a fad for small rounds travelling at extreme speeds, but in recent times there has been a swing back towards large-caliber rounds travelling at moderate speed.

The biggest round that comes out of a rifle is fired by the .50 cal Barrett ... the rifle is designed to shoot through tanks, armored vehicles, and into engine blocks to disable vehicles.

The Barett is designed as what we would call a long-range interdiction rifle. It is intended for enagaging targets out to 1500m, and more specifically, material targets like parked aircraft and light skinned or unarmoured vehicles (no tanks!).

SubZero61992
June 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the help, I think thats all I need to know.
NATO is the weapons I was thinking of instead of sub-machine gun.
About the sniper rifle, I knew there was a round that could shoot through tanks but I didnt know what it is called.

JUst to be sure, the picture is of a NATO type weapon right?
http://www.civiliangunner.com/images/FNF2000TOP.jpg

Jacquin
June 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Depleted Uranium rounds are by their very nature armour piercing. The denser the material the projectile is made of the more momentum it has and DU is pretty much the densest material we can safely use (debatable I know). A DU round will easily penetrate steel armour.

J

TheEarCollector
June 12th, 2005, 11:17 PM
NATO is the North Atlantic Treaty Organization... the US and it's allies. NATO weapons range from the US M16 and M4 to the British Lee Enfield series of rifles. What you have pictured is the OICW, part of the US Army's new "Landwarrior" system... It's not out until, let's say 2012?

And the Barret 50 cal actually does shoot through tanks, BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE INFANTRY!

Expendable
June 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I found a list of supposively NATO guns on a gaming web site (http://www.planetrainbowsix.com/armm/nato3/weaponslist.htm), you might want to check it out. No pictures though but it might help you find what you're looking for. Or try checking your library for the Jane books.

SubZero61992
June 13th, 2005, 10:44 AM
EarCollector, I knew what NATO meant its just when I think NATO I think of the weapons along with it but I get your point.
The OICW is a gun that I've known about for quite a while, and I think its brilliante.