View Full Version : Batman Begins! [spoilers!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

SEF Mk1
June 16th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Favorite film I've seen thus far this year. 10/10. IMO, best super hero adaptation period.

Lobby is open and ready for discussion.

saintjon
June 16th, 2005, 01:07 AM
I'm going on Friday. Can't wait!

Ouroboros
June 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I'm going to see this tonight... a full review tomorrow, guys.

SEF Mk1
June 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Excellent! It is the best comic super hero adaptation ever. I am going to see it tomorrow again. Best film of the year. And this coming from someone that felt there were faults in both Spider-Man and X-Men franchises. IMO, they both pale dramatically in comparision. Loved it much more than Sin City.

BTW, Director Nolan and Writer Goyer is said to have mapped out a three film storyarc, in which Joker would be cast in the second and maybe Two-Face in the third according to Entertainment Weekly. However, sadly, apparently Nolan is noncommitted to the possibility of doing the next two if they develop. (TBD - to be decided.) Can't imagine any one else of Nolan's talent, usually replacing a director can drop quality and brilliance significantly. But maybe I am thinking to far ahead.

saintjon
June 16th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Well, if I'm satisfied that even one live-action batman movie was done right I'll be happy just for that.

My favourite Batman movie is the Mask of the Phantasm. Just a dead-on expression of what Batman is all about IMO. (not to mention the Joker, Mark Hammill's a damn genius of a voice-actor)

Evil Agent
June 16th, 2005, 09:49 PM
SEF, maybe you should put a SPOILER warning in there. Your post ruins the last scene of the movie! Luckily(unluckily?) for me, I already had that spoiler ruined for me in a review I read somewhere.

Anyway, I guess this means that this Batman takes place in a totally different universe? I thought the movies could all still connect, but if there are gonna be more in this series then I guess not. That's crazy, I still remember seeing Burton's Batman in the theatre (what, about 15 years ago already?) That's almost as long as the gap between Star Wars Episode VI and I!

Ouroboros
June 17th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Well, I breathed a sigh of relief when the credits came on.

They did good....

This is the Batman movie that should have been made in the first place. After several increasingly awful attempts at the franchise, 'Batman Begins' steps outside, starts again, and is incredibly successful at it. Its like dirt being thrown on the coffin of the last couple of high-camp outings with Kilmer and Clooney.

It does feel a lot like the 'Year One' graphic novel which is said to have provided a conceptual premise for the film, in that an attempt is made to examine Batman's motivations and inner life, as opposed to focusing on the batsuit, hi-tech gear and cool car. Ok, so all of these things feature in the movie, but what I'm getting at is that Bale is becoming Batman on screen bit by bit, before our eyes, before he actually pulls on the mask.

While not a perfect movie, its hard to level any serious criticisms at it. Bale is a neurotic, obsessed Batman and also breathes new life into the usually mundane Bruce Wayne persona (his carefully calculated drunken birthday speech is good stuff).

Neeson shines as ever, although one wonders if he is now going to be shoeboxed into mentor role after mentor role? (Of course, in this movie he is also a bit more than that, but I won't spoil it...)

Some impressive cameos and minor roles in there too. Rutger Hauer, John Hurt, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman .... star studded indeed.

Cilian Murphy is quite watchable, and works better than I would have initially expected as the Scarecrow.

I'll post more later when I have more time.

Leiali
June 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I watched it last night and it was pretty fantastic. Perfectly pitched for a dark fantasy, with some humour that I wasn't expecting. Christian Bale did dark and brooding really well (I find him really cold but my other female friends thought he was fit - It's Liam Neeson for me I'm afraid!), and even Katie Holmes was ok, I think that was the best acting I have ever seen from her. I thought the first hour dragged a bit, but it picked up pace really well. Of all the heavies in action there the gold star has to go to Michael Caine despite being a cockney butler!

Davis Ashura
June 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM
I loved this movie. I loved the first Batman movie by Tim Burton also, but hated the three that followed (especially Kilmer and Clooney ones).
I thought Christian Bale was excellent as both Batman and Bruce Wayne. The entire cast shined, especially Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman. Some of Liam Neeson's east Asian philosophy babble was a bit much. I was afraid that with all the talk of fear, he'd end up saying "We have nothing to fear but fear itself". Overall, though he was great.
The only jarring note was whenever Katie Holmes came on. She just wasn't very powerful as a character or an actress. Oh well. At least she gets to live her lifelong dream of being Mrs. Tom Cruise.

JamesL
June 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I thought Batman Begins was a really good film and a great take on the franchise. Great atmosphere, intense actiong and some good humour but not too much to spoil the broth. I had the misfortune of seeing Batman and Robin the other night - the one with Jim Carrey in it as The Riddler- and by God it was awful...

This was far better. Bale did a good job at being Bruce Wayne, and Liam Neeson, Freedman and Caine et al were all good. I thought Cillian Murphy was convincing in his role. Katie Holmes...wasn't so much her acting, I think it was more her weak character and script that she had. She was ok but added little to the story.

Bring on the sequel! I would love to see The Joker done in a similar way to Batman - all sinister and twisted. That would be awesome. :)