View Full Version : Another Military Related Question

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
June 20th, 2005, 04:47 PM
I am working on another project that deals with space, aliens, planets, and pain...well struggle.
I know the the military ranks from low to high and what medals are awarded for ( thanks to dictionary) but how are soldiers promoted to higher ranks?

Jacquin
June 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you how medals are awarded in space battles with aliens. I'd suggest you make it up, as long as you are consistant it should be fine.

J

SubZero61992
June 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Jacquin, its pretty much our military in space, everything is the same except the fact they are in space. What I mean is are soldiers promoted in ceremonies, or do they just tell the soldiers and list it on a computer.

Jacquin
June 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM
When you say "our" military, do you mean the US military?

SubZero61992
June 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM
The UnitedStates.

Expendable
June 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
After bootcamp, enlisted men take training courses for their specialty and then if they've been their current rank long enough, they can take a test to show they know what their doing, combined with fitness reports and recommendations. If they pass the test, they're usually promoted on certain dates specified.
At certain high enlisted ranks, taking a test is not enough, it just makes you eligable to go in front of a selection board.

Officers have to go in front of a selection board to advance.

choppy
June 20th, 2005, 11:22 PM
What I mean is are soldiers promoted in ceremonies, or do they just tell the soldiers and list it on a computer.

Usually a promotion happens during a parade of some sort. (Note that parade doesn't mean marching down the street with clowns and floats). The soldier's unit is formed up - sometimes just the company, sometimes the battalion or regiment. Often this depends on what the rank is. The jump from private to corporal is pretty common and not that big of a deal, but if you're getting a new colonel - better polish your shoes! The soldier is called out in front of everyone, and promoted. This can happen behind closed doors, or on the battlefield, but generally some sort of ceremony is held because its a positive reinformcement of the soldier's accomplishments. It also helps so that the other lower ranks know to listen when the new guy starts shouting at them.

I'm not sure how it works in the US army (although I'm pretty sure some traditions are universal), anyone who gets a promotion is "required" to buy a round of drinks (usually just for his immediate platoon so it doesn't get too out of hand).

SubZero61992
June 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks Choppy, thats all I needed to know.

TheEarCollector
June 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Promotions can happen anywhere, for anyreason.
If you are the quartermaster, you aren't going to be promoted for the same things that an infantryman would... Promotions are given for doing your job well, and more importantly, the needs of the Army (or your respective branch). They are going to create a new squad just to give it to a sergeant, an older sergeant is going to have to get promoted out of his position or retire (or die) first.

Some rank, like first lieutenant and the junior enlisted ranks, you are promoted through dependant on time in service. Basically, just being there long enough.
Afterwards, you have to start competing for rank. Better training, better performance, it all comes together when they decide who is coming up for promotion.

Actual promotions can vary immensely as well. There always has to be an officer to make you swear the oath again ("I do solemnly swear that I will defend the United States of America... something about the constitution, protecting against all enemies foreign and domestic" I haven't said it in a while ;)) but otherwise, it can be an in the office type deal, it can be done in the field (not to be confused with a field promotion) or if you are a REMF (the guys who sit in the back) or getting an important rank (usually via change of command ceremony) there is a ceremony.
No matter what happens, someone has to present ou with the new rank, and you swear your oath again (for officers at least).

Michael B
June 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
In Heinlein's Starship Troopers, promotions to officer rank can be send over the radio without any real ceremony. Sergeant Jelal was promoted with the platoon is away from any other MI unit.

To take a naval example Hornbolower was promoted from fifth to second lieutenant by filling dead man's shoes,. No ceremony was involved.

If your unit is out of contact of the high command the CO may be able to promote NCOs and officers up to a certain rank by fiat. Of course there may be a catch in that at some point Homeworld has to countersign the order; Hornblower lost his rank as commander because it was peace and the Admiralry decided not to ratify the promotion.

Michael B