PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is Sandman?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saintjon
June 20th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I wanna know why with all these comic movies going on since before I was done high school we still haven't been treated to a Sandman movie! Like seriously, when it's felt by so many people to be the best work of comic fiction ever (I haven't read enough of it to agree or disagree with this, it's not my fave but I like it very well) you'd think it would be a bit more feasible than something like Elektra wouldn't it? A bold director who loved the material and wanted to have fun with it could have a blast mixing in different visual styles and even different animation styles if he felt like it.

Anyways, Tim Burton or maybe Terry Gilliam seem liek good choices to direct but I'm always open to someone I'm not aware of providing a pleasant surprise (like Batman Begins was)

C'mon DC, you'll give us Catwoman but not Sandman?

Dawnstorm
June 20th, 2005, 07:15 PM
I don't know.

I don't think it's very easy to do Sandman. There's so much side tracking and the plot's so convoluted that you'd have to simplify way too much, or cut way too much. And a lot of the appeal is in cross referencing literature and using story archetypes, which is very hard not to let devolve into name-dropping or cliché mongering; especially in a movie (because you've got too little time).

If I heard they'd do Sandman, I'd be very skeptical (though Tim Burton or Terry Gilliam seem like good choices; they'd at least get the visuals right. Mmmh, the Dreaming...)

Archren
June 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM
As a huge Sandman fan, I have to say that I think I'm happier that Hollywood doesn't currently have any plans to ruin my favorite comic book of all time. I mean, who could play Death & be as good as the book? Who could ever play Delirium and not seem ridiculous? And frankly, who could play Dream? Then there's the question of which plot lines do you choose, and then you know that they'd rework everything just to put in a car chase. ;) So I think I'm very happy to leave it on the page. :)

saintjon
June 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Fair enough, but it just seems weird to me that they'd be throwing all these comic book movies around and yet the industry won't give us one of their damn biggest. It WOULD be difficult but so was Lord of the Rings. Well, the movie I'd like to see made probably wouldn't appeal to all that many people so I guess I can't blame them, I'm just surprised.

wapa
July 11th, 2005, 07:19 AM
IIRC Gaiman's been working on the script to a movie based on Death:The High Cost of Living, but I don't know how well that's going.

The Death Trilogy could be made into some movies - maybe two movies, with a second based on the second two books (since they'd make very short movies on their own - from what I remember Gaiman was adding more scenes to THCoL because on its own it would have only been 40 minutes long). But I don't think you could do anything like that with The Sandman series itself...

For one thing the different visual styles of the stories, for another the length and craziness...

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be very tricky, even if it were some sort of miniseries.

Priestvyrce
July 11th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Instead of live action, don't you think that a Sandman movie would be better suited as a animated feature or maybe a mixture, like Tarantino did in Kill Bill vol.1?

Soon Lee
July 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Neil Gaiman's online journal (http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/essay06.asp) has an article about the state of various works w.r.t. movie adaptations. It doesn't look promising for the SANDMAN movie; Neil's basically said, 'Here, you do what you want with it.'

Personally, I'd go for animated over live action but won't be upset if the movie never gets made. I'll still enjoy the comics.

saintjon
July 11th, 2005, 10:44 PM
My friends were saying this weekend that he's working on a movie with Tim Burton that looks really good.

Shehzad
July 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
HOLLYWOOD stay AWAY from Sandman!