View Full Version : Most fun part of writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

milamber_reborn
October 15th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Now we know what's most difficult. What is the most fun part of writing a story?

KATS
October 16th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Where to begin?

I love it all. The initial spark of inspiration. The meticulous planning, giving depth to characters and worlds. The first draft which gives the spark substance and direction. The editing, and editing, and editing - the refining of the story. That moment when you
realize the story is as good as you can possibly make it.

I guess my favorite part is the editing (all the hundreds of edits I do). The editing is where my voice is heard. It is where the story goes from being an idea to a story. It is where art and creativity is born. My absolute favorite is when Iím having a difficult time with a particular passage, paragraph, sentence, or phrase and then I realize the perfect word to use or phrase or if I change the scene slightly everything will fall into place.

But then, thatís just me.

(Now Iím wondering how many different stories we would get, if we took a bare boned first draft short short story and opened it up for everyone to edit it and make it their own. This might be an interesting writing exercise to try instead of another collaborative story. Just a thought.)

Bardos
October 16th, 2001, 08:33 AM
My fav part of writing?... Hm...

First is interaction between the characters.
Second is world-building.

And... I mean no offence to Kats here, but, IMHO, there is a time you must draw the line and realise that the editing is finished. Or you can edit a text for the rest of your life. That is true, and I'm guilty of it myself many, many times. When I take a look on a story I've writen and edited, I always find something that "would have been better if writen that way".
It's creative to look at your stories again (for two reasons mainly: 1, you are in touch with the story, if you're writing the sequence; 2, you change some things... to the better, you hope), but there is also a time you must move on.

Everyone has his/her way, of course. So...

...don't flame me now, Kats!!! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif j/k

[This message has been edited by Bardos (edited October 16, 2001).]

KATS
October 16th, 2001, 10:04 AM
I agree, there is a time to move on (did I say there isnít?). The question is when? Personally, I think a lot of writers (especially novice writers) make the mistake of moving on too quickly.

The way I gauge the progress of a story is if I still see changes that need to be made when I proofread it. Believe it or not, I do get to the point where I am satisfied with the story. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

I suppose Iím just a bit of a perfectionist. And I know that most readers canít tell the difference between my story ďThe Price of DisobedienceĒ (as the story was some 20 odd edits ago) and ďCuriosityís FollyĒ (the final product). The differences are subtle, but I know they are there. And hopefully the editors will appreciate these subtleties.

By the way, writing is not the only thing Iím this anal about . . . I tend to start my Christmas shopping list in July and I do mean list (which I keep for future reference). I also keep track of the Christmas cards I send each year so I donít send the same card to the same person twice. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by KATS (edited October 16, 2001).]

Bardos
October 16th, 2001, 11:50 AM
...Imagine what would have happened, if I haven't asked: "Don't flame me"... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/frown.gif

http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

j/k (again!)

KATS
October 16th, 2001, 01:04 PM
I wish I knew how to do the emote that has the tongue sticking out. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

(No flame intended, this or the previous post.)

Penumbra
October 16th, 2001, 06:44 PM
The most fun part of writing for me is formulating an original concept. Even though there will be lots of creative thoughts along the way, to embellish and flesh out the idea, conceiving something new has a thrill to it that nothing else can equal.

An8el
October 16th, 2001, 06:56 PM
I really like the idea of taking a "bare-boned" story and fleshing it out to see how we end up with the differences. But in a way, that's what many stories are - a re-telling of "old" themes...at least in fantasy.
For instance: "the younger person finds they have a special destiny...which means they have to learn how to exploit it fast to save the realm, their friends or ideals from destruction."
In contrast, in sci-fi stories the idea is often what shapes everything in the story. Usually the writing explores some plausible scientific characteristic and what that special idea might mean to the characters in the imagination of the writer.
So, methinks this idea of having a story to "flesh-out" would be easiest with a fantasy storyline.

I guess my favorite part is the idea of a sci-fi story.

So if this experiment were a sci-fi story, maybe someone would just offer the idea and we'd have to leave some of the story blank to see how people wrote about what the idea meant?? Any other ideas how to do a "bare-bone" sci-fi story in this way?

All you people out there who want someone to write your idea, step forward!

Alucard
October 16th, 2001, 10:06 PM
One of my favorite parts of writing is when you get to this point where everything just comes out, where your no longer concentrating on it, it all sort of just.....happens. Whenever you reach this bizarre sort of zen, where everything clicks without the use of concentration, it's really exciting. It's like you dig a hole into your brain by working on a project for long hours, and you finally find this buried treasure that you never knew you had in you. The only problem is, how do you get there intentionally? I haven't figured that part out yet, and I doubt I ever will. I've just found that it happens most often after working for long periods of time with minimal breaks in between. But whenever it does happen, it's worth the wait...

Another aspect of writing that I really like is how you have comeplete control over your story, to twist it and mold it as you please. If you feel like you'd like to reward a character, then you're completely free to do so. If you'd like to kill off a character, then go ahead and give him the axe. The possibilities are endless, which is why it's a lot of fun.

I also like the fact that you can write in the style that most pleases you. Sometimes, when I'm reading, habits or styles of authors can get on my nereves. For example, I don't usually enjoy overly descriptive authors. It usually slows down the story, and often times, a lot of the descriptions aren't even necessary. This is just a matter of personal tastes, but that's exactly my point. You can write in whatever style pleases. There are no rules or limitations to style, and I like that.

These are just a few of the things that I like about writing. There's really a lot to like once you get into it...

Bardos
October 16th, 2001, 10:58 PM
I really like the idea of taking a "bare-boned" story and fleshing it out to see how we end up with the differences. But in a way, that's what many stories are - a re-telling of "old" themes...at least in fantasy.
For instance: "the younger person finds they have a special destiny...which means they have to learn how to exploit it fast to save the realm, their friends or ideals from destruction."

IMHO, that's why fantasy is progressing so slowly. Personaly, I have never writen the boy-becomes-world-savior story... nor I think I'll ever will. Every time I write fantasy, I try to use something new. A new creatures, a new type of magic, a new race, something. And, of course, I never use the old classic sterotypes --elves, dwarves, etc; even dragons I try to avoid! It's better to create something new, methinks.

And something Alucard said about the flow of the story, made me ask this question (I just have to ask it!):

--Do ever the "bad guys" win in your stories??--

Perhaps not total victory, but... a victory nonetheless.