PDA

View Full Version : Naive, but here goes...............

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Chris G.
June 27th, 2005, 07:10 AM
With a complete trilogy in less than a year, I find I LOVE the writing and creative process and LOATHE the idea that I have to, this summer, begin to find agents or publishers....

I just want to write, I have other projects I'm itching to start. Anyone ever heard of hiring a person to do all the "leg work" for you? I mean a dude who you hire directly to organize your material to be sent out for querying agents/publishers...makes copies...etc....basically a secretary but one who does this for writers.

Moderator: If I get 5 replys that all say "secretary" go ahead and delete this post. :rolleyes:

Rocket Sheep
June 27th, 2005, 08:34 AM
You could probably get a freelance editor to do your business management side of things for you... if you paid them. A lot of freelance editors will do paid agency type work for you... if they like your work...

michaelS0620
June 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Since what you are looking for is phones/organizational type stuff, I think a regular old secretary would be just fine (and most likely cheaper). The nice thing about publisher's guidelines is that they are easy to follow, and a secretary could format the manuscript appropriately just fine. I don't really see what is added by having a secretarial type who "know's the biz".

On an unrelated note....finishing an entire trilogy in under a year? How many words is it, if you don't mind my asking? Many writers advise people to let the manuscript sit for some time so they can come back and read it with a more critical eye. Not trying to be a downer, I know there are some fast writers out there; but I equally know the temptation to yell, Its Done!, and want it sent out before its trully ready. You only have one chance with each publisher for your work to make an impact. Are you sure its ready?

Michael

James Barclay
June 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Got to say, I think you're being lazy here.

Finding an editor/agent etc is all part of the business of being a writer. I used to find putting a submission together and getting it in the post an exciting part of it all, as it happens. And after six books published, I still have to put together presentation documents when I'm trying to sell new ideas.

I'm not sure you're going to help yourself by hiring somone to submit things on your behalf. It means you aren't investing yourself 100% in your project. People might be left thinking you don't really believe in it. And it'll make success all the sweeter should it come.

I think you should do it yourself. It'll help you understand what the industry is all about.

NOM

Chris G.
June 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
On an unrelated note....finishing an entire trilogy in under a year? How many words is it, if you don't mind my asking? Many writers advise people to let the manuscript sit for some time so they can come back and read it with a more critical eye. Not trying to be a downer, I know there are some fast writers out there; but I equally know the temptation to yell, Its Done!, and want it sent out before its trully ready. You only have one chance with each publisher for your work to make an impact. Are you sure its ready?

No, it is not ready, none of them are. Last summer, when I finished book one, Earth Stone , I was all hyped up. I mean, after years of short stories and letting the first 5 chaps of ES just sit, I was done, it was alittle amazing, I wrote a BOOK! But the new school year was upon me, I'm a teacher with summers off, and though I had five days to spare, I started a proofread and began soliticitng agents. I did exactly three. Never intending to go beyond ES, I started having inklings of a sequal and started writing on weekends, finishing in late December just before Christmas then ploughed right on into a third. Focusing on the sequal and then the third while only writing on weekends, enabled me to calm down and think objectively about the first book as well. Intending to complete book three within the first couple of weeks of summer and promptly begin the proofread of ES, I've resolved not to start querying anyone until I'm completely satisfied with Earth Stone's rewrite. If it takes until end of next summer...((shrug)) I'm just anticipating that perhaps the proofread/rewrite might go as quickly as the writing did.

I'm not sure you're going to help yourself by hiring somone to submit things on your behalf. It means you aren't investing yourself 100% in your project. People might be left thinking you don't really believe in it. And it'll make success all the sweeter should it come.

Ya know? I never thought of it that way. I think you're 100% correct. It still seems like a horrible process though, yet I still agree. Frankly, I'd like to get to the point where I live full time like I do in the summer when I get up in the morning:
1. make coffee
2. feed cats
3. boot up
4. work
5. piss/work some more
6. more coffee
7. work
8. piss again
9. work
10. stop/eat/TV/crash/repeat #1-10

Then again, wouldn't we all? ;)

MrBF1V3
June 27th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I cannot disagree with NOM, though "lazy" might be a bit strong, and not actually the case.

Not all people are good at everything, that's one of the reasons there is more than one person. Personally, I don't like making phone calls to people I don't know, luckily I have someone at work who's job it is to do things like call people, and I get to do what I'm good at.

Chris G.--I'm not sure where you're from, but you might try a local temp agency. Drop by, be ready to tell them specifically what you need, and find out how much it will cost. I bet they can set you up. God speed.

MichaelS0620--You may want to check a related thread where Chris G. is asking for readers, of course it is an investment in time.

B5

michaelS0620
June 27th, 2005, 10:10 AM
B5,

Thanks, I will look for the other thread. I do agree with you in terms of there being certain things you just don't want to do, and if you have the $$$ then by all means go ahead and hire someone.

I do think, however, that if you've never been through the process (I haven't), its a good idea to go through it at least once. That way you learn what the pitfalls are and how everything works. After all, if you've never done it yourself, how can you judge whether the person you hired is doing a good job.

This is your baby we're talking about. Blood, sweat, tears; more blood...

I, personally, wouldn't trust anyone else to do things for me, unless I really lacked the experience.

Michael

Holbrook
June 27th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I am with NOM here, best to do it yourself.

Sometimes a rejection may be more than a sorry, no... it might lead to an exchange of letters or emails.

If you can't make the personal contact, speak in depth about your work, package and sell it, then *shrugs* shoulders. From my recent experience I have found an editor/agent wants to talk to you about your product, not through a third person.