View Full Version : War of the Worlds

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ndhaon91
June 30th, 2005, 11:54 AM
I thought it was very well done, overall. A little too "Signs" and not enough "Independence Day" for my taste, but I guess that's how it was intended.

Final07
June 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I thought it was very well done, overall. A little too "Signs" and not enough "Independence Day" for my taste, but I guess that's how it was intended.

A little too signs *groans* :( that makes me want to reconsider if I'm really going to see it this weekend. Not saying Signs is a bad movie, just saying that there was virtuely no kind of alien veus human scene. Independce Day was great :)

Ouroboros
July 1st, 2005, 04:57 AM
Saw it last night.

Distinctly underwhelmed by the combination of Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning, both in ultra-annoying form.

Eventually I was just hoping their fellow refugees would toss both of them to the aliens. It would have at least meant we didn't have to listen to Fanning's shrill whining.

Shehzad
July 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Like Ourobouros, I was distinctly underwhelmed by Tom Cruise and especially Dakota Fanning.

The disconnect between seeing bridges blown up and people dying and subsequent whining about back pain and uncomfortable beds just felt... wrong. I also disliked the prolonged basement sequence which just felt... out of place.

And, the saccharine movie ending. Ugh. Ugh Ugh. Ugh Ugh Ugh. Can't Spielberg LAY OFF the sentimentality?

Overall, it was OK to pass time, but there have been much MUCH better movies this year, and yes, SW Ep 3 was one of them.

BlackCauldron
July 1st, 2005, 01:58 PM
Oooooo....I totally disagree about the Signs comparison. I hated Signs but loved this. Signs you never really got to see the aliens. War of the Worlds is 15 minutes of build up then 2 hours of aliens kicking ass. The ending was a little underwhelming, but it didn't detract from how suspenseful the whole film was.

Final07
July 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
Good news, Black Couldren. I will be seeing that movie this weekend and will post my comments. :D

Solaar
July 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
8 of us saw this last night. Two of us loved it and the other 6 were distinctly underwhelmed.

They all thought it was going to be very Independance Day whereas I've seen the original film and it was great to see the odd nod towards it's predecesor.

Solaar
8 outta 10

NoneShallPass
July 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
War of the Worlds is the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. and I watch really bad movies for the fun of it, such as anything MST worthy.
War of the Worlds had NO suspensful or intense moments. nothing was built up, it just sort of happened. The dialogue was stupid, I wish it had been directed by someone much less kid-friendly than Stephen Speilburg, at least it would have been a better action movie if it was rated 'R' instead of 'PG-13'. it made me angry when all of the would be gory scenes took place on the other side of a door, or behind a tractor. but that still does not excuse the horrendous script.
I just began reading H.G. Well's novel, and the first 4 pages of that blows the movie away. H.G. Well's is brilliant. and I bet he is turning in his grave so much, that we could run a small city for a few weeks if we wrapped him in copper wire and stuck him in the middle of a large magnet.
The absolute worst part of the War of the Worlds, is that it SHOULD have been so awesome. it was based on perhaps the most legendary SF novel, directed by the man who did Indiana Jones and The Minority Report. I had been waiting for this movies since Christmas. and I was so disappointed. I almost cried, then I almost died, then I almost left the theater, and I really wish I had. but its ok, because tonight, a local theater is playing the original 50's War of the Worlds movie, and I really hope I can go see it.
sorry i got a bit ranty.
but the original novel really is fantastic, and I love how it is written almost like a scientific journal.

Abby
July 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Check out this quote from Spielberg after he made "War of the Worlds":

"Science fiction for me is a vacation, a vacation away from all the rules of narrative logic, a vacation away from physics and physical science.

"It just let's you leave all the rules behind and just kind of fly."

Here's the article: http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8901990&pageNumber=1

Shehzad
July 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Makes sense... That's exactly what he's done. Abandoned narrative sense.