View Full Version : Crit Groups

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jacquin
July 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I've just signed up with Other Worlds Writers Workshop, are there any other members hiding out here? Is anyone a member of a different crit group? Would anyone be interested in setting up a crit group from here? I'm thinking harsh, rip-it-apart-and-build-it-again, serious, line-by-line, crits...

Anyone?

J

Holbrook
July 4th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I was a member of this group from the time it was sponsered by Del Rey to recently when it was a fee paying one. (small fee)

http://www.onlinewritingworkshop.com/

In the first few years I took a lot of stick for my work, but I learned a lot, lately the crit's haven't really told me anything more than I either knew or others had mentioned.

On the whole I think hard hitting groups are good up to a point after that you have to go with your gut where your story is concerned some folks want to re-write the whole thing ;)

You need two things to be a member of a crit group.

1. A thick skin to take the hard crits and more importantly learn from them.

2. Time, to read and crit other people's work to the same level they are giving to yours. A "oh that is nice" won't pass muster.

Zanzibar
July 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I was recently (a month or so ago) invited to join The Writers Association (http://s11.invisionfree.com/Writers_Association/index.php), whose goal is to publish the works of its members in annual anthologies. They're mostly established writers, or at least people who have published something, and I personally had an old story of mine shot down by William Alan Rieser, brutally so. Anyway, while I did accept the offer to join, I'm thinking of leaving. I'm not so focused on writing right now and I've not yet attempted to try and publish something so I'm not convinced I belong. Still, I haven't made up my mind yet. A few other members of this site (Expendable, FistfulOfSky, SubZero61992, and others) have also been recruited. Unless I do quit this one, I don't think I'd participate in one based out of SFFworld (though I might quit this one TO participate in one based out of SFFworld).

michaelS0620
July 4th, 2005, 09:11 PM
J,

I would be up for that sort of thing! Except, since this is for stories we are interested in publishing; the community forums may not be the place for them as the rules against submitting previously published work (which includes open websites). I am only 13k words into my novel at the moment, but would really benefit from getting substantial and detailed critiques. (I would enjoy giving them as well).

Zanzibar,

Your link had something missing in the middle. Not sure what it was, and so I haven't been able to visit the site.

Michael

Zanzibar
July 4th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Fixed. My bad.

Jacquin
July 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
If one is set up it would be via email. I wouldn't want to compromise electronic rights in any way.

J

MrBF1V3
July 5th, 2005, 02:02 AM
Zanzibar--I was invited to join as well, but lately I'm so busy I have to pencil in sleep three days in advance (and if I'm lucky I can keep that appointment).

I would rather be critiqued by people for whom I have some clue about, or can figure out. If possible in a setting which can be a dialogue. I prefer to critique someone else's story when I have time to crawl into it and come up with somewhat clever and useful suggestions.

Holbrook is right, time is a big factor. I did requisition another four hours a day, but have been informed that I may have already exceeded my chronomic budget. :) I already have moderately thick skin (but may question critique comments in order to get a better idea of what the critiquer is saying).

All that is to say, I could be interested in a sffworld critique group, but I'm kind of happy with the way I can get input using the community and the forum sections. Keep me posted.

B5

Rocket Sheep
July 5th, 2005, 02:39 AM
I'm a member at Otherworlds, I manage their database actually but only by delegation (if I fail at that, then I have to do it myself).

I did the free trial at Online Writers (the ex-Del Rey) but even tho they are a far larger group with more opportunities, they didn't fit the style I like to work by (ie. no emotion, tough crits, commercial).

I made HE join Otherworlds... after I'd already alienated him with one of my crits... ;) But I think he's hiding away somewhere now.

I think Maus should join too because I haven't got thru the stuff he sent me and a whole pile of rewrites for the How To guide of the century (cough) have just landed on my desk.

I'm already a member of a children's writer's crit group and a face to face group... I'm a SuperNOVArian... I couldn't do more crits than I'm doing... actually, I can't keep up with the crits I'm doing. I'll stick with just the three groups thanks.

Julianag
July 5th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I'd like to join a crit group but I'm not sure that a "harsh, rip-it-apart-and-build-it-again, serious, line-by-line, crits" is really my thing, I review at www.fanstory.com but firmly believe that being overly harsh is unnneded since I can be very sensitive to criticism myself so a polite yet strict and serious critique is far better then sick-em and you are a talentless **** review.

edited to remove swearing - J

Jacquin
July 5th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Ok, let me explain a little more what I am thinking of.

I am filled with enthusiasm for writing at the moment, I have quite a lot of spare time and enjoy critting and receiving crits. I believe there is a lot of talent here on SFF and think that if we can pool our knowledge we can help each other out.

The crit group I forsee would consist of people who are deadly serious about getting work published. It would be very similar to Otherworlds in approach but looser in genre. They would be people that see the process of writing as a means to an end not people that believe in art for art's sake. Not people who would not want to ruin their personal integrity by pandering to commercial forces. (Thanks to OWWW for unknowingly allowing me to steal their description.)

Each member would have to both Crit and Submit and I would see the crits being detailed, objective assessments of the writing. It would be about improving the writing in every way possible and not about the writer. It will be hard work and will require a certain amount of both dedication and courage but I think it would also be intensely rewarding.

J