PDA

View Full Version : New Highlander Movies...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

juzzza
July 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Highlander was a fantastic movie!!! And one, which should never have become a franchise. The sequel totally undermined the original, with ridiculous notions about the immortals being aliens... and now it seems some more are being planned.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=10261

Kirby
July 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Ahh dearie me. What's that catchphrase again?
Oh yes.
"There can be only one...more"

;)

Leiali
July 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Hm.... I managed to watch the third film after the first. No idea why as I had heard the sequels were appalling. It was just as bad as expected. The first film is the only one which should have existed, so any more sequels are just.....pointless. Saying all of that though, I did like the few episodes of the tv series I watched with Duncan McCloud. That was quite cheesy fun.

Evil Agent
July 9th, 2005, 03:44 AM
There's already 4 movies. The first one, the sequel (worst sequel ever), the third one, and the fourth one, Highlander: Endgame, (with connor and duncan teamed up).

juzzza
July 9th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Yes I know that, go to the link... there's three new ones planned on top of The Quickening, The Magician and Endgame.

Evil Agent
July 10th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Oh yeah... well, I won't really have high hopes, but I might see it depending how good it looks. I really liked the first movie, and the original TV series when I watched it in re-runs. The first few seasons were filmed here in my home city, Vancouver.

Wulfa_Jones
July 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I loved Highlander, a great film, a little silly but good fun (a french man playing a Scot, a Scot playing a Spanish Egyptian). Highlander 2 just ruined it, the whole immortals being aliens was a really bad idea - it was much better when it as more of a fantasy thing rather than a bad sci-fi thing.

Highlander 3 was just awful and Highlander:Endgame made no sense as it re-wrote what had happened in the first and second movies (spoiler: Conner is killed by Duncan so he can use his power to kill some super immortal and become the last immortal!?!?!?).

The TV series was alright (from what I saw of it - was shown at like 2am midweek), it expanded the mythology and introduced some new elements.

I heard about Adrian Paul wanting to re-launch the film series, he wanted to have more creative control over them and so was looking to act and exec produce.

Don't have to high hopes for what will surely be a straight to DVD production. It is a shame the franchise was ruined by Highlander 2, had a lot of potential.

Evil Agent
July 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
None of the sequels, or the TV show, connect well with the first film. The first film implies, at the end, that Connor is the last Immortal alive, that he received the Gift.

In the later movies, and TV show, there are still LOTS of immortals kicking around, so already the first movie is made inconsistent.

Then, the 2nd film is the worst of all, completely inconsistent not only with film 1, but with all the later films and TV show that came afterwards. You basically have to pretend that film 2 never happened, or else none of any of the stories would make sense (and ignoring that movie is okay with me!).

Ya, so far the Highlander franchise has not been that great with story consistencies.

Ouroboros
July 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM
As far as I'm concerned, the first film is a classic, and the rest of the movies are pretty much to be forgotten about.

The series is actually quite good, in parts. It had a fair old run of several seasons. Unfortunately, it periodically descended into sillyness with attempts to expand the mythos .... perhaps the worst were the demons?

I don't hold out much hope for these new movies. Adrian Paul should be put out to pasture and someone new drafted in. The emphasis should be put back on exploring the price of immortality rather than on some guy jumping around doing bad sword choreography with his shirt off.

Wulfa_Jones
July 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM
As I said I only ever really saw the odd episode of the series. I always took it that it was based before the events in the first movie.

I quite liked the idea of the Watchers.