View Full Version : Robin of Sherwood DVD collection

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kirby
July 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
...why haven't you got yours yet?
;) Seriously, I loved this series when I was half the age I am now, and it's stood up to the test of time remarkably well. I have really been enjoying revisiting this show - pretty much every episode is "packed", story wise.
If you forgive the 80's permed hair disaster that Clive Mantle suddenly sports for about three episodes (in the latter series featuring Jason Connery as Robin), it's pretty much all good. (Especially the play-off between The Sheriff and Guy of Gisburne. ;) )
Wheeeee!
:D

Leiali
July 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM
There were a few things to recommend it, the mysticism, the music of Clannad and the atmosphere overall. I must say I preferred Michael Praed to Jason Connery, but I don't know that they would stand up to the test of time as I watched them first time round on the telly when I was very young. Who was Clive Mantle in it?

BlackCauldron
July 8th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I've never seen this but always been curious. I should rent it sometime.

Wulfa_Jones
July 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM
It is being shown in the UK on ITV 3 on weekend afternoons (about 6ish).

Love the concept and I remember loving it as a child but now (being a little jaded by bigger budgets and better effects) I'm not enjoying it as much.

The cinematography and camera work is sometimes pretty awful, the out door sets and "crowd" scenes really shows it's budget constraints (think about Xena and you won't be far off). The indoor scenes, most likely shot in real castles are fine (if a little poorly lit).

The one thing I love about it is the concept, the whole pagan and magic vibe was a different spin on the original idea. That is something I would like to see a re-make off - just to think that only 5 or 6 years later ITV produced the Sharpe series which looked so much better.