View Full Version : Idea For A Good SF Story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

John Thiel
July 9th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Around here, at least, we have drivers who have their headlights on in the daytime. They amount to nearly one third of the drivers on the road. Now, of course there is a mundane explanation for this, but it could, if not otherwise interesting, make a basis for a good sf tale.

Suppose the drivers using headlights during the day assumed it was night?

Here we have material of the sort Rod Serling used to present on THE TWILIGHT ZONE. Do any of the writers here want to try it out as a plot for a story?

Rocket Sheep
July 9th, 2005, 08:48 PM
In parts of Australia, inland where the roads are long and straight and the heat is fierce, they use lights during the day.

It's hard to see thru the heat haze you see... and a car beneath a heat haze and in a slight dip on a straight road can take you by surprise if you're travelling at 120ks/h. Which would be a shame if you're passing someone.

Oh no, wait that would be the mundane explanation you spoke of.

People assume day is night. So what do they assume night is? Do they drive around at night lights out seeing perfectly?

Expendable
July 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Suppose the drivers using headlights during the day assumed it was night?

Here we have material of the sort Rod Serling used to present on THE TWILIGHT ZONE. Do any of the writers here want to try it out as a plot for a story?

Why don't you try it as a story?

John Thiel
July 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
The way I see it, there are fewer drivers at night and they all use their headlights. They daytime-with-lights drivers are not present at night. In terms of the story, this is because an assault strategy is in effect and the story gradually discovers why they are using this particular strategy. Not being much of a strategian or a strategy-interpreter is what keeps me from writing this story up myself. I like the effect of the drivers with lights being seen as a menace, and I like the TWILIGHT ZONE similarities the idea has, but I can't further interpret the thing and I'd like writers who reason out strategies to try the idea out.

Expendable
July 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
John, this forum is here for us to help each other. I mean sure, many of us could take this idea and run with it, but wouldn't it be nice if you could write it up yourself?

So do you want people driving with their headlights on because they think it's night, or do you want people driving with their headlights on during the day as a sort of assault on someone/something?

People who might be driving with their lights on during the daytime because they think it's night might have had a strange encounter, a brilliant flash that knocks out the car's engines and everyone inside. They wake up sometime later - the sky's dark, a blurry moon behind some clouds but no stars....

So what caused the flash?

A nuclear bomb? That would give us a flash and the EMP pulse would knock out an engine but the engine wouldn't start afterwards so that's out, but would make for good speculation in the story.

Aliens visiting a remote town? Maybe they've got a problem with halogen lights so cars with halogen lights cause them to writhe with pain or perhaps shimmer and sparkle, revealing their holographic disguises.

A secred device being tested by the government? Or by a company? What about a directed energy device (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050710/ap_on_sc/directed_energy_weapons;_ylt=AhRr.f6O4saLJPaCI3Xa4 N2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-) like StunStrike (http://www.xtremeads.com/stunstrike.htm)? Could the military (https://www.jnlwd.usmc.mil/mission.asp) be using it as a test on a small town? Or did the townspeople buy it themselves as a way to protect themselves? Or a prank by some boys with unforseen consequences?

Something to think about!

Final07
July 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah your idea is fairly original, but the idea is pretty useless if it doesn't have anything to do with the plot. It would just be another description of the world you created.

John Thiel
July 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I see the daylighted motorists as unaware of themselves as an invasion, but put into action by invasion masters who have them deceived about the time of day also. These invasion masters think they would be a better accident than an on-purpose, because that would make them more like ballistics. The headlights are meant to clarify that they are unusual. But I visualize an odd populace also, who absolutely refuse to regard them as in any way extraordinary. This would be due to cultural conditioning and warfare preparedness.

KatG
July 11th, 2005, 02:50 PM
The story sounds interesting, but where I am, it's the law that all cars have to have the daytime running lights. They turn on when you turn the car's ignition on and stay on -- you can't turn them off. The reason for this is that people often don't turn on their lights when it's cloudy, raining, darkening, foggy, etc. This way, the lights are definitely on if the car is running. Plus, it's supposedly useful in daylight too, though I don't get it myself. In any case, cars with daytime lights, it's usually built into the car, not the choice of the drivers.

John Thiel
July 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Don't they have anything better to do than to think up a law like that?

TheEarCollector
July 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I would go ahead and say that they are driving around with their headlights on as a signal to each other... that they are part of the same group bent on taking over the world! Of course, when a careless driver who simply forgot to turn on his lights "infiltrates" the group and learns their secret, he is forced to take action against them!

I kind of went off on a tangent there.