PDA

View Full Version : Help with Agents

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Obsidian
July 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I've just completed my first novel, The Minerva Virus :)

The book is really a high-tech fiction thriller, and I'm looking for a well-established agent to represent the work.

I'm a formerly internationally syndicated writer, with publication credits in hundreds of newspapers worldwide.

At this point, I'm having trouble figuring out which agents are capable of best pitching my novel to the top publishers, and which agents would be able to follow up with substantial promotional pushes.

The resource books that I've found only seem to list hundreds of agents, without providing information as to how good/established any of them really are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find really top-shelf agents?

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

KatG
July 11th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Agents don't do promotional pushes; that's not their job. If you're in North America, you can check out Writer's Digest's Literary Agents Guide which gives more info about agents, or similar types of guides. If you're in the U.S. (or looking for an international agency,) you can also go to the website of the Association for Authors Representatives (AAR) and get the list of their members. While they don't have info on the individual agencies, their members all are established agencies with good track records. You may also want to check out the acknowledgement page of thriller writers you like and see if they thank their agents to get names. For the U.S., you may want to check out ICM and William Morris, two leading agencies that make most of their money in the movie business, but also have strong literary agency arms. It's very hard to get them to take you on as a client, but since you want someone very high-powered, that would be them.

Abby
July 12th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Hi Obsidian,

For your first novel, you may have some trouble getting a top-shelf agent to read your work. They're picky enough as it is.

I ditto KatG on everything. You can also check sites such as:
http://www.everyonewhosanyone.com/agus1.html
http://www.geocities.com/ebyame/warning.html
http://www.publication.com/aylad/agents.htm
http://motownwriters.homestead.com/AgentsEditors.html

James Barclay
July 12th, 2005, 04:28 AM
You'll also find that most agents have websites these days and often you'll find client lists and credentials on them. They'll also have their submission criteria detailed and as has been much-discussed on this forum, submitting what they want and not what you think they want is very important.

Remember that reputation and credentials aren't everything. There are newer agents out there gaining great reputations. And you will have to get on with whoever it is represents you. Doesn't matter how great an agent, if you don't like each other, your career could suffer in the long run.

You might also try calling one of the publishers you favour and asking them who they rate. It's a little cheeky but as they say... don't die wondering. It's how I found my agent.

NOM

Obsidian
July 12th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all the very useful help everyone!

I'll spend some time on this and post a follow up to let you know how its worked for me. ;)

Abby
July 12th, 2005, 06:14 PM
I'll spend some time on this and post a follow up to let you know how its worked for me.
Cool. I look forward to it.

Insedia
July 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, Obsidian. It's frustrating. I have a problem in the same category, anyways. I can't find an agent that will represent me because of my age, and it has nothing to do with them not liking my poetry. They here how old I am and honestly don't even read it. It's depressing. I think I may have found someone with half a brain though, seems really nice, I talked to him on the phone. I'll let you know, cause I think he does novelists too, high-tech stuff like you're describing.

Hope everything works out. :D