View Full Version : Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Evil Agent
July 15th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Ok, is anyone going to see this? At first I was excited.. then when I saw the first trailers I felt disappointed..now suddenly I'm excited again.

It got 2 thumbs up, and some good reviews, but I've heard that, surprisingly, Johnny Depp is not that great as Wonka. I like Depp, but honestly I've sometimes found him a bit overrated. I thought his roles in Pirates and Fear and Loathing were great, but a tad on the overacting side. Anyway, I'm ok with that here, so I don't mind the idea of a strange, somewhat creepy Depp-Wonka. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And I love the look of the Oompa Loompahs! :D

Erfael
July 16th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Well, I can't check any of those boxes because I really like both versions a lot. The Wilder and Depp Wonkas are very different, but each very great in their own ways. I liked that the new movie used Dahl's lyrics for the songs, and the score was great...but I loved the songs in the old one, as well. I really, really enjoyed Depp's Wonka (sure it's not the same as the old Wonka, but he's a very interesting character [and though I haven't read the book, I would guess this one is much closer to the original intent]) and the general feel of this movie.

So in short, I can't pick between the two as I love many things about each of them.

And in case I wasn't clear, I really, really, really enjoyed this movie.

Abby
July 19th, 2005, 12:38 AM
It was a fun movie, and worth seeing, but all in all, it's very similar to the original (because both versions follow the book closely).

Good acting. Cool sets. So-so FX. Nice screenplay. Good music. Decent flick.

Jaffa
July 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM
I'm thinking of going to see it although I migh tnot have time now but seriously johnny depps looking worryingly like a woman these days!

Evil Agent
July 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I don't think he's looking like a woman. Especially not in real life. But it's funny you mention that, because a story that just hit the internet a few days ago is claiming that Depp has agreed to play a female stripper, in an upcoming autobiographical movie about someone (I forget her name).

Anyway, I still can't vote cause I haven't managed to see it yet! I might see it tonight (fingers crossed).

Eperitos
July 24th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I can't vote either :( , because I saw the original when I was really young and have forgotten most of it.

I absolutely loved the new one though. It was great. I loved that the umpa lumpa was one of the hobbit doubles from Lord of the Rings. Johnny Depp was outstanding. The guy has incredible range.

Jaffa
July 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
But it's funny you mention that, because a story that just hit the internet a few days ago is claiming that Depp has agreed to play a female stripper, in an upcoming autobiographical movie about someone (I forget her name).

Is it just me or does anyone else find that a little disturbing?

malibu
July 28th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Definately worth seeing. Yeah, Depp plays a creeped out Wonka, but who wouldn't be creeped out after locking yourself into a factory with no human contact except mini-men for years?

I can't compare the two, because they're two very different interpretations. I enjoy them both for what they are. Burton's version is a deeper, thought provoking version, with looks into the psyche of a oppressed child (Wonka, not Charlie)--whereas the classic version was a delightful, sing-song version that celebrated the joy of child discovery.

Evil Agent
August 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
(duplicate of my post in 'Last Movie you Saw' thread)

I just saw Chocolate Factory last night, finally! I have to say I loved it, it was better than I had expected based on trailers. Depp was pretty funny, better than I'd read in reviews. The Oompa Loompas did get almost a bit annoying by the end, but their dance moves were so freakin' hilarious that it was okay. I loved the sets, all the effects and makeup and eye candy, I liked Danny Elfman's score, in fact I think it was the best Tim Burton movie I've seen in a long, long time. I think I liked it better than the original.

Oh yeah, and Christopher Lee was awesome (as always).

I also saw the trailer for the upcoming Burton film Corpse Bride, which uses the voices of almost everyone in Chocolate Factory (Depp, Lee, Carter, etc.) It seems to be done in the same style as the Nightmare Before Christmas, it could be very good.

Monty Mike
August 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would, but felt it was very different to the original in a way that makes them hard to compare....

great movie though :) and Jonny Depp (sp?) played his part superbly!