PDA

View Full Version : Improbable reality

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pcarney
July 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
I've always been a bit leery of writing modern fantasy. Not that I don't think it can be done well, but I think its tougher to spin a fantastical tale in a 'realistic' environment then telling the same story in this world. Its easier to suspend disbelief when you start a story some place 'far far away, a long time ago'.
Yet- I'm stuck on a story idea that won't go away. To sum it up, the 'fabric' between this world and another gets ripped away, and both worlds are jumbled together- even the land itself is thrown together (forests appear, oceans are gone, buildings appear, etc.). What's holding me back is that this is simply not possible. Even if I could piece this together with a bit of pseudo-science, I'd feel better about it. Not that I want to explain it in the story (that would come in later tales), but I always like to work in a fully fleshed out world - even if its only in my strange, muddled mind. Would something like this hold you back from writing the story?

blop
July 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
All science fiction is pseudo science to some (usually large) extent. Most modern scientific theory is speculative. All speculation begins with fantasy. Don't let scientific snobbery get in the way of a good story!

KatG
July 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM
Nope. I'm hoping to write some contemporary fantasy stories down the road. It's way easier on one hand because you have to do much less work world-building, but can also be harder if you're dealing with real stuff in getting details correct, doing research, etc., instead of just making things up to suit yourself. It's sort of like playing classical music and then switching to jazz.

But on your story idea, you might want to take a look at a sf series, Robert Charles Wilson's "Darwinia," and take a look at how he did a clashing realities sort of thing.

Hereford Eye
July 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM
Adapt the Many-Worlds version of Quantum Reality so that you get a juxtaposition of this world and a more magical world. Depending on how you are relating to your environment, you see this world or the other or both.

kater
July 21st, 2005, 04:44 PM
Or you could use some formidable form of power that occurred in the 'past' and that, not being infinite, is slowly losing traction and the melding of the two worlds is slowly breaking down. So your characters are moving through a world that is breaking apart and reverting to it's constituent parts. On second thoughts don't do that, it sounds like a great idea for a story which I will now write ;) :D

Expendable
July 21st, 2005, 06:03 PM
No. Like Hereford Eye, I would say that somehow the quantum 'reality' of this world and a different Earth have somehow begun to 'collapse' into each other, somehow merging the two realities.

But I'd have to reread up on my Quantum physics first.

Or maybe it's something different altogether. I'd still want to see how it turns out.

Boll Weevil
July 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Go for it gosh darn that high energy teleportation experiment that went wrong...matter and energy are information and that information cascaded. Think of the economic chaos, the changes in political and military structures. Is the USA gone, what about China, what's in it's place? Are they ahead or behind tech wise, are they human or alien, do they use magic and we tech. Will there be war? What about the merging of the biospheres?

No end to this one..the tough thing is restraint.

Abby
July 31st, 2005, 02:56 PM
Hi pcarney,

Personally, I like modern fantasy. Your premise sounds interesting to me. Other authors have mixed our world with other realities . . . Philip Pullman, J.K. Rowling, Susanna Clarke, the writers of The Matrix trilogy, C.S. Lewis, Stephen King's Dark Tower series . . . all with different explanations. I'm sure you can come up with some reason for the fabric between our world and another being ripped away.

Go write your story and don't worry about it! :)

pcarney
August 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM
I'll continue to look into quantum theory. I don't even intend to explain it in this story- this is being told from the viewpoint of non-scientific characters, who are just reacting to the change.

The way I see it, the whole world has been meshed with another world- with catastrophic results on both sides. I'm not sure which planet is responsible yet, but the entire geography of Earth has been rearranged.

Per your suggestions, I'm just gonna dig into this thing and see where it goes. I'm very good at making excuses why I shouldn't start a story, its a bad habit I've got to break.