PDA

View Full Version : The Rangers and Delta?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SubZero61992
August 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
What are the differences and similarites between normal military, Rangers, and Delta? Maybe this is the wrong forum...

TheEarCollector
August 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah... wrong forum. Do research on some things like that but I will give you quick info.

Rangers are the premiere light infantry force of the world, they specialize in patrolling and raiding (this includes setting up ambushes and all that good stuff). When the rangers come, you know they are coming, because they come in huge numbers and destory everything.

Delta is a lot more precise, more along the lines of the SF (aka Green Berets). They do direct action types of missions, infiltrate, sneak around... You don't necessarily know when Delta is operating in your backyard.

That being said, the two usually work together with Delta infiltrating while the rangers form a perimeter to pull security. A lot of guys in Delta came out of ranger regiments too...

SubZero61992
August 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM
So Black Hawk Down is a good resource for the Delta and Rangers working together eh?
I'll do some research, like I said before though, the internet is crowded.

TheEarCollector
August 1st, 2005, 05:38 PM
Oh and I forgot to the "normal" military. Ummm... unless you are an infantryman, you won't be doing most of this stuff anyways. If you are, they you will be doing pretty conventional fighting (attack/defend, wear uniforms).

As far as regular infantry goes, there is light (walk around), heavy (drive hummers around) and mechanized (drive APCs around). They all get out before they fight, the difference is mainly in their means of transportation.

Then there is the airborne qualification which some of those guys have, but all Rangers have... And Delta has airborne and HALO qualifications (high altitude low opening... they use the fancy steerable parachuets).

Rangers bump that a step up, they are highly trained infantry, like I said before, specializing in patrolling and raids.

Delta is unconventional... They don't even wear uniforms sometimes.

SubZero61992
August 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Delta also customizes their weapons too right? Or can any militant do that?

TheEarCollector
August 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
As far as Blackhawk Down, sure... that's the basics of it I guess.
You'd probably learn a lot more about the dynamics of their relationship through the book.
Anything else you read on one or the other will probably end up being about how they function as their own entity (patrolling vs. direct action).

TheEarCollector
August 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM
Delta is not an "official" unit per se. No, you cannot just modify your weapon on a whim because it is government property, but Delta (and the SF) are given a lot more freedoms... So they do it, and they have fancy weapons that the rest of the Army doesn't as well. The way they handle weapons is different as well though.

PS - Words like "combatant" (which is what I think you meant since militant is an adjective) are no good, I know what you mean (member of the military) but that term is directed at ANYONE fighting, so a member of a militia applie, even though he can do whatever he wants

Expendable
August 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Here is a link with some information about the various Army Special Operations command and various units such as Rangers and Delta Force.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/arsoc.htm

I think you need to go hit a library for some books on Rangers and Delta Force, plus special forces.

kater
August 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM
Your best bet is to get hold of a book called The Commando's by Douglas Waller, it details a lot of interesting things about the Green Berets, Delta Force ranger, the Rangers and the Navy SEAL's.
One thing I would add to what's been said already is that Delta is primarily a counter-terrorism unit.

TheEarCollector
August 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
There's a joke about how the Rangers would rescue a airplane full of hostages, and how the SF would perform the same mission.

Long story short, the rangers would send in 300 guys, they would demand to parachute in, when the assault began everyone on the plane would get killed, and the plane would only be useful as scrap metal afterwards.
The SF would only send in 12 guys but it would cost just as much, they would fly a commercial jet first class to the site and begin their assault, and all the hostages would come back alive but the women would all have mysteriously become impregnated