PDA

View Full Version : If someone is hanged, crucified or otherwise killed or nearly killed...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pennywise86
August 7th, 2005, 01:12 PM
to within an inch of their life, to the point where they have to be resusitated (?), will they have a permanent scar around their neck, or will it fade away in time? And if someone is hanged, not as bad as the first person, will they also share the scar?

I guess what I'm asking is do people who survive a hanging have a permanent scar, or is it something that depends on how long they were up there for?

JRMurdock
August 7th, 2005, 02:21 PM
It depends on how the person was hangged. Most times they are dropped with a rope around their neck and this breaks their neck, killing them instantly. Other times they may be pulled up and depending on the looseness of the rope, they may suffer rope burns, but thise may not end up as a permanent scar.

The only want I can think of to survive a hanging and have a scar...

The person must be pulled up with a slack noose and struggle (wriggle and squirm) and have the rope cut into his/her neck. This would break the skin and leave a nasty scar.

Hope that helps.

J.R.

TheEarCollector
August 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Like maus said, you are dropped when you are hanged (usually) so the only chance of surviving is if your neck doesn't break... in which case you are struggling because you are being asfixiated so you will probably get ropeburn.

There's actually a western, a Clint Eastwood western mind you, where he gets hanged (he sits on the horse and then they scare off the horse, leaving him to hang) and he has a horriblescar around his neck from having all the flesh ripped up while struggling to break free.
He of course, eventually goes on to seek revenge, and they all know who he is by the scar on his neck.

I actually think something similar actually happened in history with a bounty hunter who crossed into Mexico, but I can't be positive.
Use creative licensing, it's not something too many people can answer for sure, and realistically I think it could go either way.

Expendable
August 7th, 2005, 07:41 PM
If the person was hanged with a natural fiber rope like manilla, the ligature abrasion of the rope against the skin would cause almost permament scarring if the victim survived. If the person was strangled with something soft, the ligature marks would heal and fade.

There's a good chance of damage to the larynx.

Something to keep in mind is that modern hangings using the drop method and a proper hangman's noose will break the neck, resulting in instant death.

Monty Mike
August 7th, 2005, 07:51 PM
I can't imagine any rope would leave permanent scarring.

Unless, of course, it's some kind of sick ritual where sharp blades are involved......

pennywise86
August 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM
thank you all for this wonderful, and a little eerie information, lol. I realize that if the person was dropped it would more than likely break their neck, but in the story i'm writing two boys are pulled up, so as to make their torture last longer.

Michael B
August 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM
thank you all for this wonderful, and a little eerie information, lol. I realize that if the person was dropped it would more than likely break their neck, but in the story i'm writing two boys are pulled up, so as to make their torture last longer.
Unless you have a trap door and a long drop, you are more lightly to strange to death than break your neck. Consequently what some people did was to pay the executioner to pull of their legs so they strangled quicker.

Pulling the boys up slowly as opposed to say standing them on stools which are then kicked away is certainly going to make the torture last longer. It would also make sure that their necks are definitely not broken.

If the person was hanged with a natural fiber rope like manilla, the ligature abrasion of the rope against the skin would cause almost permament scarring if the victim survived. If the person was strangled with something soft, the ligature marks would heal and fade.
I second this and not just because it is a favourite device of Hollywoods. If you can get rope burns on your hands you should be able to get them on your neck.

TheEarCollector
August 8th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I can't find it but I am sure if you look online long enough you will find the proper formulas for hanging someone...

Basically, a certain length of rope is necessary to break the neck of people of various weights. Too long or too short and they won't die instantly.

MrBF1V3
August 8th, 2005, 05:17 PM
They recently had a show about this on the History Channel. The series is "Wild west tech" I think. They were talking about some of the same things you have asked. Perhaps there is information on their website.

They mentioned a guy who survived a hanging. And another guy who was heavier than they figured, and his hanging turned into a decapitation. (yeech!)

B5

Monty Mike
August 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
And another guy who was heavier than they figured, and his hanging turned into a decapitation. (yeech!)
:eek: Head clean of? Damn......

*shivers*

Still, those kinda documentaries are always interesting.