PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Jack Thompson's antics?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

saintjon
August 9th, 2005, 05:42 PM
the attorney who brought you an AO rating for San Andres is now shifting his sights to... *drum roll*

The Sims.

:confused:

I guess EA will be the next company to come under fire for corrupting our children with the evil known as Naked People in the Sims. Wait a minute, though, EA didn't put anything like that in the game. If your Sims game shows you nudity it's because you've modded it with user-created content.

Now, being a truck driver I know the US justice system has very little to do with justice, but doesn't this seem ridiculous?

BTW I've seen some things that show he's going after the ESRB for only giving Killer 7 an M rating.

So like the title says, I put it to you. How do you feel about this?

Worstnightmare
August 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I dont get it,Im very confused...whats the point, I too think its ridiculous!

Monty Mike
August 9th, 2005, 06:15 PM
First I've heard, but that's absolutely crazy. A naked Sim is no worse than a naked Barbie doll - and how old are the kids who play with Barbie dolls? Well, a lot younger than those who play the Sims :o

kater
August 9th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Helluva point m_m and it shows that some clown, I've never even heard of the guy, is looking to make a name for himself off games. There have been a few people who tried but this seems to be the most ludicrous, it's like the recent farce with GTA:SA and it's naked mod which has nothing to do with Rockstar. The press is womping the snot out of one of the most innovative games designers when it's the fault of some guy with a PC corrupting the code. Wow pixellated nakedness, it's not like you could go on the net and view copious quantities of free pron anyway is it ....

Worstnightmare
August 10th, 2005, 07:08 AM
First I've heard, but that's absolutely crazy. A naked Sim is no worse than a naked Barbie doll - and how old are the kids who play with Barbie dolls? Well, a lot younger than those who play the Sims :o

Yeah,thats what I thought...Is that guy crazy??

saintjon
August 10th, 2005, 07:49 AM
One of my friends made that point that slamming EA for user-created content is no different than attacking a company for producing sketchbooks, since so many art students are going to go and draw naked people in them.

If this guy wants to make a name for himself, well he's already succeeded IMO. He's (obviously) the gaming world's new bogeyman, he has the ear of Hilary Clinton and the ESRB.

What I would like to ask Hilary and Jack and all of these people is, can 17 year olds (who if people actually followed the ratings should be the only children playing these games anyways) not be trusted on average to handle some nudity in a game?

I think if they want to fight the war against kids trying to grow up too fast games are the least of their worries, what with drugs and teen pregnancy and all. In the isolated small town where I grew up cocaine is now the latest hobby and from 12 on up well, let's just say the kids aren't all right.

But yeah let's do something about those damn video games.

Monty Mike
August 10th, 2005, 08:21 AM
But yeah let's do something about those damn video games.
lol, lets just BAN 'EM ALL!! :p that would save some time, not to mention clear the world of all its problems.

That guy's lucky there's no such thing as being jailed for Stupidity (with a capital 'S')....

saintjon
August 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Well, speaking of stupidity it's unfortunate but true that a bunch of gamers have decided that it would be just a romping good idea to send Mr. Thompson a bunch of personal death threats, with all the linguistic skills you run across on your average trip through Battle.net.

God I hate people sometimes. Way to give the bastard credibility guys.

Zanzibar
August 10th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Well, to be honest, the sex content in San Andreas was put there by Rockstar. They intended to use it but buried it at the last second for obvious reasons (this lawyer asshole, for instance). Still, I fully agree that video games are the least these self-righteous do-gooders who want to save the youth of the world have to worry about. Similar to the coke problem mentioned by saintjon, heroin is a big street drug where I live now, as is ecstasy, and a number of kids in middle school (grades 6-8) as well as freshman in high school have been nabbed for it. Pot was sold out of lockers and in the washrooms of my school (can't remeber how many drug deals I walked in on when all I wanted to do was take a piss). My friend, who smokes it, has dragged me along on two such deals until I told him off.

My point is, this stuff is everywhere and it's not at all hard for someone to get their hands on it. Not only that, the sex content thing is stupid. Turn on your TV after nine PM and you'll find much more blatant and provocative stuff. The reason I think the SA thing was such a fiasco is because the sex is interactive. Oh well, Adults Only, but what does that mean? MA had a 17+ rating and AO is only an extra year. If parents are going to buy it for their kids, they're going to buy it for their kids.

Doesn't seem like much has changed; this Jack Thompson guy just seems like another wad out to prove his viewpoint, no matter what anyone else thinks.

Shehzad
August 10th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Yep. Games make me do bad things.