PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME name this story!!!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Taysir
August 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
this short story *i believe* is in one of the "The Year's Best Science Fiction" collections (by Gardner Dozois) since thats one of the few compilations i read, but im not sure.

the short story is:

theres some guy whos a courier of some sorts. hes bad ass. there are all kinds of safeguards to protect himself and what hes carrying. i think the info is in some kind of chip or vial or something, and basically its inside his body. the thing is tied to both his heartbeat and blood pressure, so if he dies it self destructs, and if he gets operated on it self destructs. but some people nab him and gas him and have him on an operating table, somehow theyre able to beat it. but then he wakes up or something, and the person operating on him gets blood on themselves and start vomiting. turns out the guys blood has a chemical in it that will poison the person who gets his blood on their skin. then basically he blackmails them, tells the person that they must let him go and then hell give the person the antidote for the poison.

Edit: I was in a hurry, so please excuse the bad grammar. :p

Ropie
August 10th, 2005, 04:23 AM
This premise, of a person having an explosive planted within their body that is activated upon any sort of tampering, is used in Philip Jose Farmer's book, The Unreasoning Mask, though it is a woman.

tdeanatoz@yahoo
August 10th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Jorn Grote and Gardner Dozois over at Asimov's think this story might be "Luminous" by Greg Egan.

Expendable
August 10th, 2005, 10:39 PM
It is Luminous by Greg Bear.

You can check out an excerpt here (http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook974.htm) that meets the points you made about this story.

tdeanatoz@yahoo
August 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Luminous, Greg Egan, (nv) Asimovís Sep. 1995

Reprinted in the following:

The Yearís Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection, ed. Gardner Dozois, St. Martinís 1996
Luminous (short story collection), Greg Egan, Orion/Millennium 1998 (no US-edition available yet).