PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help me with something.....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Monty Mike
August 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM
I decided to post this here because it's pretty general and could come under any genre. My friend is curious to know whether there are any books involving samurais/ninjas or japanese mythological creatures of any sort. Even if it was set in japan's past he'd probably be interested.

Any thoughts?

blop
August 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM
Shogun - James Clavelle is the classic Samurai one, western writer though.

Also, watch Kiroswa movies (7 samuria, Ran etc.)

saintjon
August 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Also for movies he might be interested in Zatoichi, as far as books go there is also James Clavell's Gai-Jin (which has a healthy smattering of Europeans and Chinese as well, hence the Gai-Jin)

There are the Legend of the Five Rings Clan Novels, but APROACH WITH CARE! some of them have an astounding amount of suckitude involved. The ones by Ree Soesbee (The Crane and The Dragon) are pretty good though.

Then there's the books series that starts with Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn and of course our very own Kevin Radthornes series which begins with The Road to Kotaishi.

FicusFan
August 11th, 2005, 10:43 PM
There is a thread in General Fiction that is about Shogun. People also talk about other books that have Japanese/Eastern settings. I have listed a couple of new series that are historical fiction, a mystery series, and an group of books and a series that are modern day thrillers, which use Japanese spiritual energy and magic with martial arts.

There was also a thread somewhere about books with Asian or Eastern settings. It think it was in General Fiction, but I can't seem to find it in the current forums or in the archives.

Shogun in General Fiction (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7306&highlight=shogun)

I have also found some other books, not sure if they meet your requirements other than they are set in Japan:

The Tale of Murasaki by Liza Dalby
Genpei by Kara Dalkey
The Initiate Brother by Sean Russell
Gatherer of Clouds by Sean Russell
The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu
The Fall of the Shogun by Dov Silverman
Tairo by Dov Silverman
Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa
The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson
Fudoki by Kij Johnson

Monty Mike
August 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Thanks for all the recommendations, guys :) I'll pass them straight on to him.