PDA

View Full Version : first rights

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

marymoonshine
August 13th, 2005, 12:22 PM
i have a question, i read somewhere that if you have previously posted part of a story on a website that some publishers wont take you on as they dont get the first rights. Can someone please clarify this for me, and if this is true what if i posted it and then deleted it a while later, are the first rights still that of the websites?
i am very confused

JamesL
August 14th, 2005, 02:51 AM
A lot of publishers (whether book publishers or magazine publishers) won't touch fiction that has previously been put on the internet. Not completely sure why but likely to be due to the fact that they can't buy first rights when the story has already been 'published' on the net. As a result they aren't interested.

There is a simple conclusion really - if you have a story that you are thinking of sending off for publication, don't put it on the internet first.

Ward
August 14th, 2005, 11:09 AM
I think an exception to this may be internet writers groups, which are much less public and are considered to be like any other peer reveiw for purposes of publishing.

marymoonshine
August 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM
so say i posted it on here it wouldnt be as bad then? and what if it was only a short amount of the story on it (i.e half the 1st chapter and the 7th chapter) ?

choppy
August 14th, 2005, 12:14 PM
You'll probably get a few more educated answers than this, but as a general rule of thumb, you can put up "draft" copies of your work - especially partial pieces (like a chapter or two) and I don't think that you'll have much of a problem with publishers.

From the publisher's point of view, they don't want to pay you for the rights to publish something that's already available for free out on the internet.