PDA

View Full Version : A change of attitude?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Holbrook
August 14th, 2005, 05:40 AM
While munching my toast this morning and fighting with a broadsheet newspaper I came across this article... So, I thought I would look up the internet edition and post it....

Comments?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1733898,00.html

juzzza
August 14th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Interesting but not convincing.

The problem for the talented writers will always be that there is no quality control and their work will be printed alongside the garbage and the vanity projects.

Also, the final analogy about Monets and eBay is a little off when you are talking about literature... who wants to read Britney's signed G-String?

Also, POD is still vastly different to vanity publishing. Has anyone here used Lulu?

Equilibrium are picky and they don't accept and publish just anything sent to them... unedited! :eek:

God help us all.

Hereford Eye
August 14th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Another boat in the ocean. Fortunately, it's a big ocean and lots of boats can try for the crossing. Every now and then Kon Tiki will make it.

Rocket Sheep
August 14th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I dunno, if you've written a winner, you've written a winner and sometime someone with some clout will recognise that. Whether you spend years and a few more $$$ trotting around a self-published book or years trotting an ms around to publishers, if it has mass market worth it will realise it... eventually.

Of course... crocheting your own dishcloths is something that is always only going to appeal to a few of us... :D

MrBF1V3
August 15th, 2005, 12:49 AM
For my part, I agree with Gabby Johnson. If I wanted to publish a book I would be more likely to go the POD route; I suspect my book will not the next runaway best seller, the process is bound to be easier, I wouldn't have to quit my day job to spend my days shmoozing agents, editors or anyone else, and the handful of people who actually would want to read a book written by me wouldn't have to wait until I can convince someone that I do have best seller material.

I suppose the trick is to be a good self-editor.

B5

kahnovitch
August 16th, 2005, 05:14 AM
I agree with Sheepie on this one. It your book is good it should (in theory) sell it's self.

BUT (and it's a big but (cue song)), there will also be a lot of crap floating around and you have to wonder if a mainstream agent or publisher,who is already swamped with wannabe Rowlings will have the time or inclination to bother wading through the rivers or self-published literature to find the "next big thing".

If you take this route it's all about advertising once you are published, and trying to grab the attention of the big boys.

juzzza
August 16th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Yea if you can create some buzz around your self-published novel, or get a review in an opinion-leading publication, you will get noticed. Matthew Reilly, that teenage girl recently and so on...

But most self-published authors face the same slush pile as everyone else, only the novel doesn't meet the submission guidelines in its printed form.

It may bolster your writing CV mind you if you can boast to having self-published x books that sold x amount... if you have some publish credits too for shorts, that would make a compelling query letter to agents, no?

Holbrook
August 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
POD is something you should think very carefully about before you do it and also you must examine your reasons for doing it.

If you look on it as a stepping stone to get you noticed in the publishing world you need.

A. A large amont of money for publicity

B. The knowledge and where withall to cut through all the crap and get your work under the noses of those that matter.

C. Have a skin of cast iorn to take all the hits.

D. Be prepared to fall flat on your face.

JRMurdock
August 16th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Perhaps people will recognize two names...

Kevin Radthorne
Gary Wassner

both were POD authors and 'pimping' their books at a con (separately I believe) when they were picked up by Windstorm Creative.

So yes, if you're an author, success can be in YOUR hands and not the hands of the publishing house. That's an important thing to keep in mind. Many big houses these days will NOT do any pimping of your work and instead rely on the author to get word out. This is one reason, I believe, that Kevin and Gary were picked up by Windstorm. They had shown a level of committment to getting the book to the masses and that, combined with Windstorm's advertising backing, their books have seen actual sales. Having read both authors, I can see why. :D

Anyway, I myself have steered clear of Self-publishing until I've honed my craft to the point where I've created a book I'm proud of. Some day. Some day.

J.R.

JamesL
August 17th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Personally I feel that if your work is good enough, it will get picked up by a 'proper' publisher. It may take a long time and expose you to every emotion known to man, but if your work is very good and of a publishable standard, it will get picked up. Having said that, I would never personally rule it out although my inclination would be to only use it as a last resort. ;)

Reading that article unfortunately reminded me of GP Taylor and his 'hotter than Potter' novel Shadowmancer. I tell you - there is a reason this guy self-published. His novel was awful. I managed to read half of it and it was one of the most dire, uninspiring, one-dimensional pieces of work I've ever read. How he managed to land a major publisher and a huge contract remains one of the mysteries of the known world. :eek: