PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been locked in this "doodling" phase and come through?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Arc
January 27th, 2002, 12:11 PM
I used to write a lot of stories as a child, and then went through school and uni learning to write very clinically and logically, and stopped writing creatively.

I've never lost the urge to write, and am reasonably prolific with more factual articles, eg. a monthly game review column in a magazine, and a bunch of small articles published at another site.

But what I really want to do is write fantasy, yet I seem constantly stalled on this. Over 10,000 words down on paper, but it's all starts and re-starts, and I have a horrible tendency to wander off and start chatting on forums or playing computer games.

I was just wondering if this experience is familiar (or analogous) to anyone here, and what sort of things might get me over this initial "bump" and writing more solidly?

peppermint
January 27th, 2002, 06:17 PM
I have been through that phase i go through it periodically nothing really you can do about it just let the story write itself if that means rewriting the start over and over again so be it but try not to focus to hard on what you are writing because you will restrict yourself. Just get it out and get it down you can come back and tie ends and fixs up typos later. a lot of my stories have big gaps that i come back to and fill in.

so mabey if you try writing another part altogther like a scene later in the story or a history so you know where you are going or coming from.

hope my rambling helps

Cass

Arc
January 27th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Thx for input. A friend pointed out also how you get bogged down if you try to make it all perfect the first time around.

An8el
January 28th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Yeah, you can say that again, but you can also edit too much! I rewrote and re-edited a very short (non-fiction) book I was writing over about six YEARS. Granted, I was learning to write and it was a very subjective, difficult subject, (Alexander Technique.) Still, it was as if I didn't know when to stop.

Learned my lesson. I never rewrite stories/artistic stuff more than three or four times. I try to trust the original "flow" of story writing and even while editing myself, retain it's "flavor." I like letting the writing sit and reading it again as if I didn't do the writing.

So what if you distract yourself! Most people avoid doing something they really like because of some psychological issue. So, think strategically to get around the stupid avoidance habit. Instead of distraction, redefine it as a mini-refreshment break and limit yourself to playing one or two games or a certain time limit... then go back to the writing. Or just read your own stuff - print it out.

You could post some of your prospective "starts" in the story section and let us give you suggestions and feedback - or whatever you want to ask for. That may get you fired up to assemble and finish something that you already have going. Or write really short stories.

Or dredge up that "collaborative" story we were writing and write some of that for us to get it rolling again... "Tales of Baldarr." Sometimes working on stuff that isn't yours helps. The good thing about a group story is maybe someone else might bail you out if you write yourself into a corner. I've found it really helpful.

Arc
January 28th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the thoughts... I guess I'm a bit shy to post anything until I figure at least where my first chapters are going.

Never thought about the collaborative thing, that sounds a good idea too.

lior
January 29th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Arc, I know what you mean, as a matter of fact, I'm going through it right now. I also used to write a lot more when I was a teenager.
I lack the self decepline and patience that are required for prolific writing, as a result I write stories in large gaps between one another.
Another problem I have is that I will not post any story here unless I'm totally convinced that's it's the best I can come up with. (of course, one of the reasons for posting stories here is to get feedback and get better).
That is why I have two stories posted and TEN beginnings of stories on my word processor...

Arc
January 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
How *do* you post a story here...?