PDA

View Full Version : What is this? A potentially good game movie?!?!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
August 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I know… it sounds like madness, but I think the Halo movie has a good chance of… well being good!

Alex Garland is writing the script and they are looking for a director passionate about the game (hopefully not Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson!!) and Bungie seem to be having a hand in the films development.

At the moment it’s sounding promising.

Click here! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4181000.stm)

Evil Agent
August 25th, 2005, 03:48 AM
That's awesome.. I had heard they wanted Ridley Scott to direct it (Alien, Gladiator, and the not-that-great Kingdom of Heaven).

Godslayer
August 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I really think that this could be a great movie... then again that could be the fanboy part of me talking ;)

kater
August 25th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I don't buy it, I think that the word 'cash-in' is always going to be applicable to any game-of-the-moment-to-movie and once Doom flops (yes I've seen the trailer :D and colour me cynical but it looks duff) no-one is going to be anywhere near as interested. However a Hitman movie, as has been rumoured for a few months now, may prove very interesting.

Monty Mike
August 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
However a Hitman movie, as has been rumoured for a few months now, may prove very interesting.
I'm certainly not interested in Halo.

Hitman - now that's a movie I'd watch! :D

Shehzad
August 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM
I'll hold out for the day they make the Planescape: Torment movie...

...Though I'm not holding my breath.

Dawnstorm
August 26th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I'll hold out for the day they make the Planescape: Torment movie...

...Though I'm not holding my breath.

That would be a pretty bad movie, since Holliwood's working hard at expelling all the sensates... ;)

Shehzad
August 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM
So what does that leave them with, Dustmen?

Dawnstorm
August 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Wanna-be godsmen and denizens of the Dead Nation... :cool:

Tarn
August 31st, 2005, 03:39 PM
I can't quite work this one out. From my experience with Halo and Halo2, I can't quite work out how it has potential for a good movie. The first game was decidedly underwhelming, although admittedly I only played the PC demo and a brief bit of a later level. It all seemed rather mediocre, although of course I didn't really get to sample the story.

However, I played considerably more of Halo2, which left me even more disappointed after all the hype and xbox owners' ravings. The gameplay was solid, if rather unremarkable (my general feeling of 'meh' may have been down to the xbox controller, of course). However, what surprised me was the story, which appeared to have been written by a bunch of teenagers that had watched Aliens, Starship Troopers and a host of dodgy 80s action movies. The whole thing seemed hugely cheesy.

Of course, by computer game terms, the story and writing was still pretty good. But, then, there's a only a couple of games each year that have a genuinely high quality of writing and narrative, so the standard isn't set particularly high. However, if you transpose the style and story from the young medium of computer games to that of cinema, I fear its hokey b-movie nature will become all too apparent. Same goes for the rumoured Max Payne movie. While in the gaming world it's faux-noir/gritty nature is fresh and rather exciting (and certainly a good step in the right direction, especially the nicely crafted sequel), when it gets into the same arena as actual film noirs, I fear it'll be found wanting.

Unfortunately, with only a handful of exceptions, I still consider game writing/narratives to be in their infancy. They can't even come close to good cinema or literature. Of course, a dodgy/immature narrative can be quite separate from gameplay, which is why games with dubious storylines and dialogue can still be fantastic to play. Unfortunately, Hollywood tends to only pick the games that sell hugely (ie, good gameplay) to make into movies, rather than picking those with appropriate stories that have the potential to be adapted to the movie format. Another case in point is the Doom movie...Doom works superbly as a computer game - run around, shoot - but I am yet to be convinced that there's enough there for a movie, even a no-brainer 80s-style action movie.

Something tells me I'm now rambling. Sorry about that.

p.s. Personally I'd love to see a Prince of Persia-inspired (inspired by the sand of Time game, that is) movie starring Naveen Andrews (Sayid in TV's 'Lost').