PDA

View Full Version : Submission Etiquitte

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Fred
February 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM
If one submits a novel to a publisher for consideration, is it generally considered bad form to submit the same novel to another publisher for consideration at the same time?

Thanks,
Fred

Yes, I am too lazy to make sure I'm spelling etiquitte right.

hscope
February 5th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Hi Fred

As far as publishers go, multiple submissions are a big no no. However, I tend to send submissions out to as many people as I can afford postage for. Publishers say they will get back to you in 3 to 6 months! Forget it!
Worse case scenario: You have more than one publisher interested in your book at the same time. (I dream of having this problem)

Penumbra
February 6th, 2002, 04:53 AM
For the most part, the typical publisher considers simultaneous submissions as anathema unless they specifically allow it with a printed disclaimer.

James Barclay
February 8th, 2002, 10:32 AM
I would avoid multiple submission if I were you. Publishers don't like it.

On the other hand, if a publisher is taking too long to read your submission, I would say that writing to them and telling them you intend to submit to a competitor is entirely reasonable - you can't let them dictate, though you have to be aware that many submissions are made and publishers will take time to get through them.

One small word of advice - if you are submitting, pay as much attention to your letter as the rest of the work. That's the first thing they'll read and as I've heard from the horse's mouth - if they can't write a letter, you have to assume they can't write a book.' Unfair? Possibly. But there has to be a way to separate potential winners from the mass quickly.