PDA

View Full Version : I need a big drink!!!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Holbrook
August 27th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I just finished the first full draft of my latest effort, Oracle and sent if off to my chosen victims for their thoughts on the beast.

190,000 words of waffle lol

To be honest I am on a hell of a high, more so than with my other efforts. I know this is only first draft, but I feel this is one of the best things I have written.(That feeling might wear off soon though)

I feel that the work I have put in trying to learn the ins and outs have come together. Even if it never makes it into print I feel damn proud of it.... I never got into writing to make a living at it, never believed I could create anything that good, just wanted to prove I could do it and maybe get something in print one day, maybe this one is it...

choppy
August 27th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Congratulations Holbrook!

That's quite an accompishment. It's always nice to have something written that you're personally proud of. If you don't mind me asking, what kept you focused enough to see the project through to completion?

I'm not sure that I needed any more inspiration to go write, but you've definately given me some. Unfortuantely I'm stuck in the office today (Saturday). Maybe if I didn't spend any time posting on the net at work...

Radthorne
August 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Bravo, Holbrook! :) That's a good size book, and you deserve a big drink for accomplishing it!

Best of luck with eventual publication! I know we'd all look forward to seeing it.

Dawnstorm
August 27th, 2005, 08:29 PM
This one's on me: |_D

Looking forward to reading. :D

Holbrook
August 28th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Congratulations Holbrook!

That's quite an accompishment. It's always nice to have something written that you're personally proud of. If you don't mind me asking, what kept you focused enough to see the project through to completion?

I'm not sure that I needed any more inspiration to go write, but you've definately given me some. Unfortuantely I'm stuck in the office today (Saturday). Maybe if I didn't spend any time posting on the net at work...

To be honest Choppy my focus at times was nonexistent. I wrote the beginning about 18 months ago. I had this world in my head and this one character, but could not get the story to go beyond the first 10,000 words. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the character. Then back in January this year I got to thinking on it and somehow it came together. I wrote an outline, which was the first of many. As normal as soon as I started to write the outline became obsolete and had to be redrafted. The story grew and developed and at times became an obession. I swore I would never let a story do that to me again and a couple of times I had to stop writing it to get back to real life. Even at one time when I hit over 100,000 words I lost the story completely and was going to abandon it. Then I got stubborn and decided to finish this first draft and see if my test readers believed it had enough to make the effort of editing it worth while.

Radthorne; as to publication I haven't got a clue yet if it will get sent out at all. A few things up in the air with regards to that. Until I get a decision regards my othet manuscript out there I am a bit reluctant to let this one leave the nest, besides it will be a while before its ready. I hope it might, but I am a realist I know my chances are slim. In fact I honestly think, despite all my dreams I would be totally shocked if anything of mine made it mainstream.

Daenstorm; gulp..... oh dear... be gentle with it, it's only a baby book.....;)

MrBF1V3
August 28th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Congrats Holbrook. :)

Finishing a first draft is an elated high followed by the panic of "Now what do I do with my spare time?"...and the horror of realization "Edit...edit...edit" and the twilight zone-ish nightmare of living the same thirty chapters over and over and ....

I hope you can get it published, I've heard hints of what it might be about and am, understandably, curious. Also, it's kind of neat to get to read something written by someone I know. (--by an alias, in a place where we leave notes for the group without ever actually being seen or heard.... I need to stop, I'm having a sarcastic day. Sorry.)

If you're worried about your chances of being published, you should read **DELETED FOR CONTENT UNBECOMING**

So anyway, I'm happy for you. Take a short rest, catch your breath, look around.

B5

KatG
August 29th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Congrats Hollie, and I hope it's just how you wanted it to be. Or at least, that you can see it within the mass of lumpish clay that is a first draft. I'm happy and envious for you!

Abby
August 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Congratulations, Holbrook. That's a wonderful feeling. I hope your novel gets the best reactions possible! :)

Rocket Sheep
August 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I like those first 10,000 words 18 months ago. I'm so glad you found 180k more!

Finishing a novel is an accomplishment that very few people ever achieve. Well done.

queenmegumi
August 31st, 2005, 11:28 PM
Rock on, Holbrook! Further proof that the sffworld community is full of talented writers. :)