PDA

View Full Version : What are the most forgettable, stupid, ridiculous superheroes and supervillains?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
August 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I've found that in reading comics, especially the older ones there is an abundance of cheesy superheroes and supervillains, but, there is also an abundance of just absolutely stupid, forgettable, ridiculous superheroes and villains that are so bad, they actually make the cheesy ones look good! I can't remember all the ones I've found, but I recall a few, such as Hour Man and The Metal Men from Dc Comics and the Space Phantom from Marvel Comics. So, what are the ones you guys have come across?

saintjon
August 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Blow Hard (he blows, hard)

The Dude in the Really Rad Armour was pretty craptacular too.

Severance
August 29th, 2005, 04:51 AM
My vote has to go to Arm-Fall-Off-Boy who showed up at the Legion of Super-Heroes try-outs and who could detach his arm :eek:
For some inexplicable reason they never let him in.
Bouncing boy and Matter-Eater Lad also had lame powers but were excellent characters and played a large role in Giffens 5 years later Legion.

Zsinj
August 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Oops! I notice in the title I put unforgettable. I meant forgettable. :o

Blackwing
September 4th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I guess I've seen quite a few of them. I think every superhero who has been around for more than a couple of years has them. For example Spiderman had an enemy who could summon spots in the middle of the air and had an ally who could hop around like a giant rabbit... :rolleyes:

Most of the ridiculous bunch have only been seen in one issue and mercifully I've seem to have forgotten most of them.

Titan2420
September 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
You want idiotic characters? Oh, I have a dozen long-boxes (and a couple shorties) FULL of dumb characters. Let me pull a couple out for you:

Black Racer: A man who can deal death with but a single touch. Rides a pale horse, you ask? Uh, no. Try a pair of "celestial skis". Yes, as in the downhill racing type. Somehow I don't see a black guy in a ski helmet shushing into a room in the midnight lee on a pair of Rossignols as the headliner for a new horror franchise. (This super idiot made his first appearance in DC's New Gods #3). Dumb factor: 8 /10.

Legion of Substitute Super-Heroes: Sure, the REAL Legion has Bouncing Boy (which I'm convinced was a cover for his TRUE hero name: Lactose Intolerance Lad), but THIS group has winners such as: Chlorophyll Kid, Color Kid, Double-Header (because he's got, well, two heads...get it? DOUBLE-header?), Infectious Lass (a descendant of Pam Anderson, no doubt), Polar Boy, Stone Boy (not to be confused with the 30th Century's waste of space, STONED Boy, the great-great-grandchild of Courtney Love), and my personal favorite...Porcupine Pete! I don't understand how bad guys are supposed to shake in their boots when a dozen of these special needs kids step off the short bus. (This craptacular team made its debut, again in DC Comics, in Adventure Comics #306). Dumb factor: 9/10.

And this week's moronic character comes from the pages of Batman:

Scarface! Is it the man behind the puppet (with the fear inducing nom de guerre of...The Ventriloquist! {yawn}) who's the evil genius, or is it the dummy himself, Scarface? Who cares, they're so lame that Bats should only need to sneeze hard to knock them out. Yet time after time after time, the man who went toe-to-toe with Superman, the man who has a dozen black belts in a dozen different martial arts, the man who's very costume induces fear in the criminal element....gets his ass handed to him by a PUPPET! Come on, people, you can't be serious!! Batman can take down the maniacal Joker but suffers at the hands of a fat guy who throws his voice??? I actually find myself DUMBER just from reading one of these ridiculous issues. (First appearance: who cares! Just don't plague us with him ever again!) Dumb factor 15/10.

Zsinj
September 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
You don't like Scarface and the Ventriloquist?! He happens to be one of my favorite Batman villains! I really like his psychotic nature and split personality. Oh well, to each his own, I guess. :D
I remember these two really lame supervillains in the old Captain America comics by Jack Kirby, but I can't remember their names, one of them was this French supervillain (yes, you heard me right, FRENCH) whose power was that he could do acrobats, and then there was this other supervillain whose costume looked almost identical to the costume that French villain was wearing and had equally ridiculous powers. Anyone remember these guys names?
You know, when I was reading these comics (and this was in one of those Marvel Essential Captain America Collections) I thought, Man, the episodes where ol' Cap went up against Red Skull and the Nazis rocked, why do they have to ruin all the good things those episodes gave to this series by putting in these two crappy villains?

Rob B
September 19th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I remember these two really lame supervillains in the old Captain America comics by Jack Kirby, but I can't remember their names, one of them was this French supervillain (yes, you heard me right, FRENCH) whose power was that he could do acrobats,
Zat would be Batroc the Leaper.

I always thought the Daredevil villain Stilt-man was really dumb, but then again, I think Daredevil is a really crappy character.

I also think Power Girl is kind of annoying.

Zsinj
September 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Yep, that was it! Batroc the Leaper! Man, was he lame! And I've never heard of someone disliking Daredevil! :eek:

Rob B
September 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Well, I fully admit to enjoying DC much more than Marvel, but Daredevil never held any appeal for me whatsoever.