View Full Version : Writing style/comparison

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Saedolin
August 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Can't sleep (moved into new house, very spooky!). Thought I'd ask...what's everyone's writing 'style'?

I write stories with fantasy plot and setting, at Michael Crichton pace - dialogue driven, lean on description (though not entirely sparse!). I do this partially because paragraphs and paragraphs of description bore me (fantasy requires some, granted, but we all possess an imagination), because I'm far more interested in character dynamics than the state of castle walls, and also because I've just finished my degree, and I'm celebrating being allowed to read popular fiction again!

Anybody else up...?

Expendable
August 30th, 2005, 04:31 AM
I don't do much with description but I try. Mostly it's characters and where they lead me. My stories are fantasy, science fiction, or somewhere between, with some fun stories in between the nightmares.

williemeikle
August 30th, 2005, 04:52 AM
I've got a "pulpy", action driven style, slightly old-fashioned due to early exposure to Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E Howard, H Rider Haggard and H P Lovecraft alongside Hammer horror movies :)

I'll never write a literary masterpiece, but I tell a good story.... :)

Willie
http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

Dawnstorm
August 30th, 2005, 05:16 AM
My writing tends to be episodic (focus more on scenes than on plot);

light on description; scenes often evolve from the differences between characters (I like to use misunderstandings or altering interpretations of the same event/thing)

Voice is sometimes laconic, sometimes whimsical; I like irony, too. Tone tends to be lighter than the content (I like understatement).

Tend to avoid good-evil types of opposition (unless used by characters as an interpretation scheme).

I like sentence fragments (have been known to abort sentences mid-word); tense-shifts; ambiguity...

I think if I had to choose one word to characterise my style, it's "difference":

- Meaning arises from the difference between characters
- I prefer to have fine weather when my characters are depressed
- I like to use cliché's and then deviate at crucial moments
etc.

[It's not easy to describe your own style, is it? I bet you could read some of my stuff and point out errors in my self-assessment...]

Tarn
August 30th, 2005, 06:27 AM
I'm don't think I have a specific writing style yet, I'm still working out what I prefer. I imagine I'll always play around with my style and try out new things (some of which will no doubt fail horribly), in order to keep things interesting - both for myself and for potential readers.

Context changes my style quite drastically - if I'm writing an interview or factual piece, I tend to be very journalistic, with emphasis on flow and ease-of-reading, ideally linking the article up around a central hook/argument of some kind.

With fiction I'm far more vague, as I'm still experimenting. If I was writing science fiction I would write completely differently to my current fantasy attempt. Is a lack of a specific fiction writing style a sign of writing immaturity/lack of experience, or is it something to be encouraged?

kater
August 30th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I've found through recent analysis that I write pieces that focus on a single protagonist for large parts of the story. I suck at endings, having never got to one :D , and am normally influenced by what I'm reading at the time eg: if it's sf I try to create stories ala Peter Hamilton, if it's fantasy it's David Gemmell etc There seems to be a lot of irreverant humour in my pieces that I don't associate with being there when I write and also I write way too many stereotypical characters. I get carried away with description and confuse everyone, myself included, with combat scenes. I stringently avoid romance as I'm toe-cringingly bad at them and in typical macho male fantasy style I have very few women in my pieces :o

Abby
August 31st, 2005, 02:32 AM
My influences are Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Anne Rice, Robert Jordan, Dean Koontz, Tad Williams, and (thinking back to childhood) John Bellairs and Roald Dahl. Um . . . I guess my style is an attempt to mash all of those styles together! :D You'll have to trust me when I say it's NOT as bad as it sounds!

pcarney
September 1st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Actually, I'm still waiting for my writing style to emerge! Back in school, we were asked several times to write in the style of a particular writer (Hemingway, Fitzgerald, etc.), and I always found this hard to do. Perhaps this is because I tend to read from the viewpoint of just a reader (enjoy the story for what it is), and not as a writer. Something I should work on...

Holbrook
September 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
I think I have a style a "voice"

It comes out when I don't try to be a smart "rear end" If I stop trying to be something I am not and just write the story the way it is coming into my head.

What type it is I haven't got a clue I have given up self analysing because if I try to I spend more time thinking on why I write like I do than writing. Also I am no good at navel gazing ;) I get confused easily.

I will let the poor souls that read my work judge what type of writer I am, good, so-so iffy... bad.... or please don't let me near any of that fool's work.... ;)

ShellyS
September 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I don't know much about style. I'm one of those people who just writes and is bad at analyzing. But I can say I tend to write in third person, multi-viewpoint (ie alternating pov characters) and that the narration is mostly filtered through the pov character, what I've seen described as tight third. I've tried first person, but prefer tight third.

I also write character driven stories and I suppose I have a voice but someone else will have to tell me what it is. ;)

As someone else mentioned they do, I do use a lot of sentence fragments.

I've been away from here for a couple of months, got a bit busy blogging. It's nice to be back. I hope to be able to balance blogging better with message board, uh, message boarding? heh