PDA

View Full Version : Out of My Comfort Zone

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pcarney
August 30th, 2005, 12:23 PM
So lately I've been writing at work. The workload is pretty light, and I figure its more constructive than browsing the internet all day. I'm pretty paranoid when I do it- not so much that I'm scared I'll get caught, but just because I don't want to answer a million questions about what I'm doing (what are you writing? Why?, etc.). So I write with a minimized screen, and keep the document at about 75% size, so no one walking by my tiny slice of cube can see what I'm doing.
The thing that amazes me is just how productive I am when I do this. I can bump out close to 4 pages in an hour (fast for my creative writing). I realized the reason for this is that, due to my paranoia about being caught, I don't over edit and analyze every word on the screen. Sure, what I'm producing might be crap, but at least its something! I can go back and edit/delete/rewrite once my first draft is done. And I don't seem to suffer from writers block either, as I'm too caught up in getting something written to get hung up.

At home, where I'm comfortable, its another matter. I'll write for 10 minutes, go find the 'perfect' writing music, write a little more, go browse a few websites, rewrite what I just wrote, etc.. Usually, I'm writing later at night (I have a 4 month old in the house), and I'm pretty tired by that point. So, in the course of 2 hours, I'm lucky to put out 2 pages, then its time for bed. Repeat this process over 5 years of 'writing', and its no wonder I get nothing done.

So, I guess this is just a suggestion. Try mixing up where/when you write. Write out of your comfort zone. It might help.

Michael B
August 30th, 2005, 01:52 PM
So lately I've been writing at work. The workload is pretty light, and I figure its more constructive than browsing the internet all day. I'm pretty paranoid when I do it- not so much that I'm scared I'll get caught, but just because I don't want to answer a million questions about what I'm doing (what are you writing? Why?, etc.). So I write with a minimized screen, and keep the document at about 75% size, so no one walking by my tiny slice of cube can see what I'm doing.
The thing that amazes me is just how productive I am when I do this. I can bump out close to 4 pages in an hour (fast for my creative writing). I realized the reason for this is that, due to my paranoia about being caught, I don't over edit and analyze every word on the screen. Sure, what I'm producing might be crap, but at least its something! I can go back and edit/delete/rewrite once my first draft is done. And I don't seem to suffer from writers block either, as I'm too caught up in getting something written to get hung up.

Writing at work? You naughty person! ;) Mind you, I have been doing that for years. The main excuse is the long commute in the morning. You can wake up with an idea, mull over it over breakfast to see how good it is. If it survives that, the drive and following park'n'ride bus trip puts the meat on the bones and you are ready to sketch out the plot on rough paper or write nine hundred words before work starts. Then at some later point, you email the story home.

I also take in printed stories for editing in my lunch hour; I edit better on paper

I have done this on a number of occasions. So far that I have yet to email stories into work to be done. However, there is a few days between Christmas and the New Year.when I am the only one in..........

Michael B

If any of my team or managers are reading this, it wasn't me who wrote it ;)

KatG
August 30th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I am able to concentrate in the midst of chaos pretty well, but I found that this did not work so well when it came to writing my own stuff. I needed quiet, I thought. But then my daughter took some courses -- swimming, ceramics, karate, and I took pad, paper and pencil and worked on stuff while she was doing it. I was working in noisy, sometimes hot, distracting places, but since nobody was going to be interrupting me, I actually found I could write material. So yes, sometimes going outside the comfort zone might surprise you. And in your case, pc, it's keeping the editor's hat off your head, which is always a good thing.

kater
August 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
At home, where I'm comfortable, its another matter. I'll write for 10 minutes, go find the 'perfect' writing music, write a little more, go browse a few websites, rewrite what I just wrote, etc.. Usually, I'm writing later at night (I have a 4 month old in the house), and I'm pretty tired by that point. So, in the course of 2 hours, I'm lucky to put out 2 pages, then its time for bed. Repeat this process over 5 years of 'writing', and its no wonder I get nothing done.

You just described me to an absolute tee, it seems there is more fun in being distracted than actually doing some writing. Whereas at work you're supposed to be working and thus being distracted, writing, is more fun.

Abby
August 31st, 2005, 02:38 AM
That's cool, pcarney! Thanks for sharing.

I've written at work a few times, also on airplanes and other loud places. I really prefer working in the comfort of my home. But I know what you mean about procrastinating; I've been doing that a lot lately (which is why I'm here so much). I think I go through cycles of productivity. Sometimes I get obsessed and write in every spare moment, ignoring email and music and such. Other times I just don't feel motivated, or I get obsessed with something unrelated to writing.

Tari
August 31st, 2005, 04:18 AM
You just described me to an absolute tee, it seems there is more fun in being distracted than actually doing some writing. Whereas at work you're supposed to be working and thus being distracted, writing, is more fun.

You're not alone there kater. i've written in so many random places. airplanes, skool (kind of like work dupopsed to be researching and instead am writing.), in class, pools, netball courts (you'd think 5netball games continously going on around you wuold drive you crazy but it doesn't.)

I'd never actually considered though how it can affect my writing. where i am etc. thanks for that pc.

~ Tari

ShellyS
September 4th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I used to write at work. There were times it was quiet enough or during lunch hour. But a couple of years ago, it just stopped working for me. I'd get interrupted and lose my train of thought. Or I'd get home and what I wrote at work made no sense to me. Or needed to be revised so much I might as well have started fresh at home. I discovered I'm not a good writer at short bursts.

I need large blocks of time to just write, 2-3 hours is a nice minimum. I write as I go and it works best when I can reread and revise the previously written/drafted scenes before moving forward. And that takes some time. And once I get into a scene, I really want the time to be able to finish it. I hate having to cut things off in the middle which was happening with the writing at work.

Whatever works, right? And YMMV and all that. :)

Michael B
September 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I discovered I'm not a good writer at short bursts.

I need large blocks of time to just write, 2-3 hours is a nice minimum.
I do both. Sometimes, I tap away for hours. Other times I grind to a halt after fifteen minutes. The trick I find is to ask "Am I likely to tear up what I have just written?" If the answer is yes then I stop, period.