PDA

View Full Version : My cure for writer's block

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Asraloth
February 5th, 2002, 09:31 PM
well people, it is very simple. i discovered it after many years of working on one novel.

the cure is...to write.

that sounds awfully daft, i know, but it is true.

i have just forced myself to write, not looking back, as revision is for later, and continuing on.
i found i have not stopped, and i am now getting through my story with a vigour and ethusiasm, that is far from sated.

so, what do my fellow wordsmith's think of this cure? have you tried it? and if you haven't, have a go, it really does work.

my god, this sounds like an infomercial http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif, but seriously guys, your thoughts.

Erebus
February 5th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Well, I agree - it's the best way if you have that problem. Just write and see what happens! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bardos
February 6th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Yep

Penumbra
February 6th, 2002, 05:51 AM
You might want to consider another point of view. Look at my article: "What To Do About Lost Focus." You can see it at my website. http://rieserbooks.homestead.com/rieserbooks.html
It will also be featured soon at oneofus.co.uk

milamber_reborn
February 8th, 2002, 03:07 AM
I would say that having a short break is also a good cure (for some). I try not to have more than one or two days break and even then very seldom. My current novel i had a break in a bit where it goes in a new direction next chapter, a good place to have a break. I edited the chapters i'd written adn hadn't edited yet. I planned a one week break but was writing again in about 5 days. The follwing chapters, right up to and including the last two i'm about to write after my two day break ends today, were going to be really hard chapters to write. I just sat down, and taking them one step at a time, churned them out at least twice as quick as my earlier chapters and with better quality (i think).

James Barclay
February 8th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Yep, it's an old cliche but 'a writer writes.'

And even if you can't get on with your main project you can always get going on a new (or even older) one.

I never revise until a draft is complete either. For me it blunts progress and affects pace. So I go from Chapter 1 to 'the end' every time. (and then read back to find the awful howlers and inconsistencies I have perpetrated!)

JohnH
February 10th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Actually I have found that a writer also 'reads'. Not so much for inspiration as just a way of removing yourself completely from whatever hurdle you just cannot leap.

I have found this works wonders for me. Particularly by reading something that is non-fiction. Clears the mind.

milamber_reborn
February 14th, 2002, 03:19 AM
I would not reccommend swithcing projects, especially when novels are involved. After chapter drafting and going back as you write is good to iron out inconcistencies asap and before and before they interfere with what's currentyl happening.

Alucard
February 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Two things that work for me whenever I'm stuck is to:

A. Write something else. Maybe a three page short story to get the words flowing again.

B. Strap on some headphones and go for a walk. This really helps clear my head.

C. As JohnH mentioned, read. Distract yourself by looking at a product of what your trying to do. This can work wonders.