PDA

View Full Version : Searching For The Title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kriis
September 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Many, many years ago I read a book which I enjoyed but it has been so long that for the life of me I can't remember the title or the author. :confused:

The book starts with a group of colonists crashing on the wrong planet (with either no way to contact home or it would take forever) and having to prepare for a long stay. Winter is coming and one thing that stands out in my mind was their need to create cosmetics, like face cream, to prevent severe chaping (the winter will be pretty nasty).

They create a rather feudal existance but because they lost so many in the crash and aren't expecting to be joined by others any time soon they come up with a "breeding plan" where each woman has to have at least three children by three different men (in order to create a larger gene pool with less chances of birth defects).

There was also, I think, something hypnotic about some of the plants. I think something happened when the wind blew over a certain field of flowers but I can't be sure.

If ANYONE knows what this book's title or author (or both!) could be, I will be deeply grateful. :D

minibirte
September 5th, 2005, 02:58 AM
The part with the wind blowing over the flowers lets me think of Marion Zimmer Bradley's first Darkover-Novel. Can't remember the title, though.

Ealdric
September 5th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Darkover Landfall
I don't particularly remember the cosmetic issue, but the pollen of certain plants had a strong telepathic and hallucinogenic effect.
The society did develop as you describe.

This was not the first Darkover novel she wrote, but it was the first in their chronology.

Kriis
September 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM
The part with the wind blowing over the flowers lets me think of Marion Zimmer Bradley's first Darkover-Novel. Can't remember the title, though.

Darkover Landfall
I don't particularly remember the cosmetic issue, but the pollen of certain plants had a strong telepathic and hallucinogenic effect.
The society did develop as you describe.

This was not the first Darkover novel she wrote, but it was the first in their chronology.

Woo and of course Hoo! Thanks muchly guys I am sure that this has to be the one. :)