PDA

View Full Version : how long did it take you to get published?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mikanine
February 18th, 2002, 04:51 AM
howdy folks

i'm new here - so go easy on me!

i've *just* finished the first draft for my novel. its a fantasy for the early teens, and is not like the traditional 'hero used to be a nobody' approach.

i'm preparing to send it around to various publishers again (i did before it was edited and got the same old 'thanks, but no thanks' replies).

So, how long did it take you to get published? and how many letters did you send out?

Alai
February 18th, 2002, 08:12 AM
I haven't sent any letters yet. My first novel isn't done. But it would be interesting to hear from somebody who got published.

James Barclay
February 18th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Welcome Mikanine - I hope you enjoy the forum.

The glib and general answer is that 'it depends'. Some people strive forever, others send in a first novel and the first publisher picks it up...

For me, about four years, I think. I time that from when I first began drafting the novel which eventually hit the shelves. I'd been writing for years and years before that but, although it was all work I thought worthy at the time, I can see now that it wasn't (and isn't) publishable.

It was a good learning process in not giving up, believing in your ability and in the craft of writing itself - something no one ever fully masters, of course.