PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on Outlines, and More Worldbuilding For Ear?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheEarCollector
September 8th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Yes, I have been away for a while... And I have continued on my project (ever so slightly, been keeping busy).

As far as an idea to help in your outlines... I had a skeleton of a story for a while and I knew where a lot of things were going, but I was never "ready" to write it all in a row. I had scenes that I felt like writing from time to time, but I kept getting hung up on the idea that I had to write everything in order, but I eventually got myself a notebook where I could put all the scenes I had written in order, and then put the skeleton on pages in between.
Allow me to explain. I write a sentence, or even a paragraph, on a page and put it in the binder. I put them all in order, and then as I find the opportunity/desire to write one of those scenes, I remove the summary and insert the scene.
It worked for me, maybe it can work for you.

Now onto the second part of this post - worldbuilding, more of it. It's actually more of a question. Why is it that some species, like humans for example, evolve to see in daylight? Is it a matter of being able to see better in the daylight?
If people just came out at night, wouldn't they eventually end up seeing better in the dark?

My story, in large part, takes place in a desert. As of right now it looks like they are going to come out at night because A) most life in the desert comes out at night, so it provides game to hunt B) it's cooler which makes life in the desert so much nicer. As an added fact I was thinking that they might live in rock outcroppings where it would be dark, so their "night sight" would be useful in a situation like that as well.
I dunno... what do you all think?

Amadeus
September 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I don't think humans would live in the desert unless it was an extreme case like Dune, where the entire planet is a desert. Or of course, a case in which your characters get stranded. Basically the eyes would become more sensitive to light. I think they would notice not being able to handle the intense light of the day before noticing any difference at night. In other words, the adaptation wouldn't happen overnight.

As far as your first topic goes - I actually don't write anything in order either, except for each individual scene. Often I'll start in the middle and jump around to a particular scene that I feel like, though I have the overall plot mapped out before I start. I will also create notes and character conversations that I can just insert where they fit best.

TheEarCollector
September 9th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Plenty of people live in the desert without need...
Bedouin, Tuareg, Anasazi, Hopi, Berbers... People adapt to their environment. Also, I wasn't suggesting that it was a change that would happen overnight (or even anything they would notice) but more of an evolutionary development.

Expendable
September 9th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Many cultures relax in the middle of the day when it gets the hottest. I can see some cultures trying to live at night and sleep during the day. Some might have to, due to a sensitivity to light.

It's only natural that they adapt.

Go for it.
--Ex.

Amadeus
September 9th, 2005, 01:42 AM
I also don't see the Hopi controlling the world. :)

To be honest, the precise method of how a human species evolved to the next is pretty theoretical at best. However, it's been suggested that human brain development was aided by fish and seafood, while the Neandertals, a dead link, mostly ate red meat. Intelligent people do not live in deserts.

I have written stories in deserts before, but it was mostly a temporary deployment/expedition type thing.

If it's a fantasy, you can basically do whatever you want. There are mammals who are completely noctural, so it's definitely possible.

MrBF1V3
September 9th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Wow. You can write a story in order?

I learned very early to write scenes, try to put them in something resembling an order, then rewrite, then try again... I remember how bogged down I could get when I started at the beginning and worked steadily to the end. These days I don't even consider that until the 2nd or 3rd draft. Good idea.

As I understand it, adaption comes after environment. The harsher the environment, the quicker the adaptation. Those of us who live in a desert, or close to it, are smarter, quicker and better looking..and we love the night life.

It is not improbable your people could be adapted to living at night and sleeping in the hotter part of the day. Ask anyone who's worked the night shift--but that's another story.

Hope this helps.
B5

pcarney
September 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM
During the time of the Crusades the Muslim world (many of whom live in near desert areas) was WORLDS beyond what was going on in Europe. Hell, Baghdad was the hub of higher learning then, with scholars from all points of the known world coming to study there. Obviously, things took a bad turn at some point there, resulting in the Middle East as we know it now, but at one point, they were on top of the world.

A thing about 'night people'- sunlight is pretty important to the human body, because it promotes the production of Vitamin D. Your people would have to supply this in thier diet or suffer the consequences. Plus, some studies have linked lack of sunlight to depression..some things to think about.

Expendable
September 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM
There's fishing boats along the shore of many deserts and sometimes fishing in rivers.

TheEarCollector
September 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I also don't see the Hopi controlling the world. :)

To be honest, the precise method of how a human species evolved to the next is pretty theoretical at best. However, it's been suggested that human brain development was aided by fish and seafood, while the Neandertals, a dead link, mostly ate red meat. Intelligent people do not live in deserts.

I have written stories in deserts before, but it was mostly a temporary deployment/expedition type thing.

If it's a fantasy, you can basically do whatever you want. There are mammals who are completely noctural, so it's definitely possible.

No one ever said they had to rule the world... and lets give the Arabs some credit, for coming from a desert/near desert, they were AGES ahead of their European counterparts. We owe arithmetic and many forms of medicine to them... Intelligence isn't necessarily reflected by location.

kater
September 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Intelligence isn't necessarily reflected by location.

Arguably you could say it is, but for the totally opposite reason. Countries in extreme conditions seem to create leaders, thinkers and warmongers who make a significant impact on history, to me that was one of the points Dune was trying to make.