View Full Version : Rome

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Jack
September 16th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Anyone watching Rome on HBO? If you're not, you should. So far, this show gets a huge wow from me, and I think its just going to get better and better. It's intelligent, marvelously casted and acted, and historically accurate (at least, thats what I've heard. I'm no Rome expert). It's taken me a bit to get into the characters and understand them, as none of them are purely likable. Lots of complexity, lots of flaws. It's a remarkable soap opera as well as a fantastic political / war drama. Fans of the era should be ecstatic; fans of good television should be as well.

EDIT: Not to mention the opening credits are some of the most incredible I've ever seen. Watching them right now. :)

So. Any comments about the show?

Bitter Buffalo
September 17th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Hear it got lots of critical praise. Wish I had HBO so's I could watch it (big historical buff). Have to wait for the DVD's I guess.

saintjon
September 17th, 2005, 02:43 AM
hi how r u?

saintjon
September 17th, 2005, 02:57 AM
sorry that was the roomie lol, I wanted to say that I've found Rome to be pretty awesome so far after watching an episode and a half. Just the stuff with Titus is pure gold and they do a good job of driving home the differences in roman society.

Like you get lulled into familiarity on some aspects, and then something happens like part of showing your wife how much you've made at work is explaining a severed phallus.

Wulfa_Jones
September 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Waiting for it to start showing the in UK. I think it should have started at the same time since it was a jont BBC/HBO production.

ArthurFrayn
September 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM
The verdict is still out on this one for me. I'm watching on it, and it's well done, but I don't know if it's something I can't live without. Hasn't quite hooked me yet.
I may have been spoiled by I Claudius from years ago, and the grittiness and cultural alieness of Satyricon.Those things may have satisfied my essential Rome fictional needs. ;)

I like the casting. The credits are very cool.

Jack
September 17th, 2005, 06:14 PM
The verdict is still out on this one for me. I'm watching on it, and it's well done, but I don't know if it's something I can't live without. Hasn't quite hooked me yet.
I may have been spoiled by I Claudius from years ago, and the grittiness and cultural alieness of Satyricon.Those things may have satisfied my essential Rome fictional needs. ;)

I like the casting. The credits are very cool.

Keep it up. I watched the first episode and the second episode, then last night watched (again) the first and second episodes, and then the third. I was sold by the end of the third. I think if the viewer chooses to make an investment in the characters, the returns will be great.

ArthurFrayn
September 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
I'll stick with it for longer than that.
I'll probably be inclined to watch the whole season.
I always give things a chance.I'd have to begin to hate what they're doing to turn it off now.

saintjon
September 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
missed most of the latest episode tonight, but what I saw was pure gold. I'm lovin this show more every time I see it.

Evil Agent
September 19th, 2005, 12:18 AM
I really want to see this, but I don't think I have HBO. I, too, shall have to wait for DVDs! :mad:

Meanwhile, I should rent this I, Claudius series if I can find it. I've heard a lot of great things about it.