View Full Version : World of Warcraft vs Guildwars

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Valada
September 21st, 2005, 12:48 AM
I am about to get broadband access (in about a month) and that will herald a new era of time-wasting for me. This is mainly because I can finally do some online gaming. I am trying to decide between World of Warcraft and Guildwars. Which one is better? I know that GW is free whereas you pay a monthly fee at WoW but this factor alone is not enough to make me favour GW. Have any of you played both? Which do you prefer? Even if you have only played one of the games your input would be appreciated.

JamesL
September 21st, 2005, 04:41 AM
Both have had very, very good reviews.

I personally have got guildwars, mainly due to the lack of a monthly fee. While I make no claim that GW is better than WOW, I can safely say it is a very good game.

Which one you go for really depends on the sort of game you want to play. WOW has the distinctive, slightly cartoony graphics of the Warcraft games. GW by contrast has a more realistic edge. In both cases the graphics, environments and animations are first-class.

The gameplay varies as well. In WOW you can do things like smithing, mining and a range of other activities. You are rewarded for the time you spend playing the game. GW on the other hand, has no activities like this and is much more focused on character progression, rewarding players for their skill rather than the amount of time they spend playing the game.

I can't really vouch for WOW, having never played it, but I can safely say that GW is a great game. I mean, it's one of only two games that I have played for about 8 consecutive hours. There are plenty of missions, dozens of class combinations and hundreds of different skills for each profession. The fact that you can join a guild, have your own guildhall and battle other guilds in GvG combat is a great bonus and adds even more depth to the game. Regular updates are also added to the game, including new missions and weapons, completely free of charge.

What you choose is totally up to you, but I can say that GW is certainly worth considering. :)

Tarn
September 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I played WoW up to about level 44. For the first 30 levels it was the best game I'd ever played - really awe-inspiring, amazing world to explore, fun quests, good teamwork etc. The world was a joy to be in and roam about.

Unfortunately, once I hit level 40 it all went downhill for me, as it takes so much time to progress. The more you play the game, the longer the game requires you to play - which is a massive flaw if you ask me. Just because I've managed to reach level 40 doesn't mean that I actually have more time available in my life to play the game: I can still only play it the same amount I always have done. As such, however, it means I essentially came to a complete halt.

That coupled with the fact that you make absolutely no permanent impact on the world as a player has made me stop playing. It all became too much like hard work for no real point - and the subscription meant that I felt obliged to play to get my money's worth, rather than playing when I wanted for fun.

If you have tons and tons of free time and don't mind the usual RPG cliches of levelling up and repetitive questing, then go for it. The world is phenomenal, it's just a shame that it feels so rigid.

Valada
September 26th, 2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks to both of you -that's good feedback and will certainly help me to make my decision!

Jack
October 26th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Hey, so I finally bit and picked of WoW. All I can say is Wow. The game is so simple to pick up, looks beautiful, and for the most part, runs smooth.

I'm a Warrior on that new RP server, a server on which nobody RPs. :( My name is Kellhus. I was excited to land that name, but I think I might start a new char, a hunter (better solo'er), and I hope I get a good name for him.

redgriffin
November 3rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
The two main thing ya have to look at monthly fees (War Craft) no monthly fees (Guild Wars)

Bitter Buffalo
November 18th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I'm currenttly trying to decide between the two myself. GW's has the edge because of no subscripion fee and because I will probably only will be able to play it sporadically I am very anti subscription. But also from my research I understand GW's is more PvP (player vs Player combat) orientated and thats a big plus for me. WoW sounds really cool but I don't have the time and don't really enjoy the long slog of leveling up your character to infinity, like the previous poster "whats the point"?

JamesL
November 18th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I can safely say that the pvp element in GW is very, very strong. By contrast, I've heard that pvp in WOW is poor.

I really couldn't say what I make of WOW - I've heard so many different things. Some people claim it is a grind-athon, others claim it isn't. Some claim that the range of skills gives it greater depth, others claim that the skills get boring at higher levels.

It is a tricky call between GW and WOW. All I can say is I've got GW and have so far pumped over 500 hours into it. I've enjoyed almost every second.

Tarn
November 18th, 2005, 04:45 AM
I didn't really notice the grind at all until I got to level 40. The game is so well designed for the most part that you find yourself quite captivated by the world. I didn't particularly notice the existence of my XP bar until I'd passed level 30, such was the immersion.

As things get tougher, the grind gets a bit more apparent, of course. Having had a break for a few months, I'm thinking about jumping back into WoW soon - they're introducing some new elements to the game that sound very interesting. Coming up is some big 'world event' that every player can play a hand in, which sounds exciting.

Despite me previous rather disillusioned post, I can't recommend WoW enough.

Puddy
November 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, once I hit level 40 it all went downhill for me, as it takes so much time to progress. The more you play the game, the longer the game requires you to play - which is a massive flaw if you ask me. Just because I've managed to reach level 40 doesn't mean that I actually have more time available in my life to play the game: I can still only play it the same amount I always have done. As such, however, it means I essentially came to a complete halt.

I know what you mean. I reached level 30 on one character, then started another and made it to level 39. I gave up and haven't played for six months. I may go back since they keep your characters in the database forever, but I don't have the time right now.

I would say that if you have the time and a bunch of friends to play with, it's a really awesome game, although player vs. player servers can get really annoying. The problem is that you feel like a wuss if you play any other way :p