PDA

View Full Version : Census

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zanzibar
September 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Hey gamers, this is just a little research on my part.

What I'd like to know is, do you all regularly or semi-regularly visit the Games section of the website? I don't mean the Games section of the forums, but rather this (http://www.sffworld.com/gindex.html) place. Do you read the news items, articles, and columns that we write?

If so, how often? If not, why? And if the latter, do you have any suggestions for improvement?

Please be honest, and feel free to say, "No, I don't.", but would you mind letting us know either way?

Thanks very much.

Bitter Buffalo
September 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I didn't even know it was there, sry. I'll visit it more now, I promise. :)

Tarn
September 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM
While I make sure to check the games forum regularly, I had to admit that I haven't gone to the Games section since first discovering sffworld.

The main reason for this, I think, is that it seems to have a general console-bias. This is by no means a bad thing, especially as consoles are where the money is, but it does mean that it has less interest for me, as I tend to use my PC for games and most console games (important note: not all!!) seem to be aimed primarily at kids (again, no problem with that, it just doesn't interest me).

For example, looking in the reviews section, you don't seem to have a review of Half Life 2, which I would consider a vastly important game - especially on a literary site with an interest in narrative and writing in general, areas where I think Half Life 2 really shines compared to most games.

Of course, I haven't really taken the time to fully explore that part of the site, so it could just be that I'm looking in the wrong places. Then again, if that is the case, perhaps there's a problem with the front page design and the way it leads readers into different articles? Or it could just be a problem with my eyes... :P

Either way, I'll keep a closer eye from now on.

Zanzibar
September 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Admittedly Tarn, we haven't been writing nearly enough reviews. However, being a fan of Half-life 2 yourself, you could write one and submit it :).

As for site layout, that is being addressed currently.

Thanks to both of you, but please keep the opinions coming.

Cheers.

Monty Mike
September 25th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Some fantastic points, Tarn ;)

For example, looking in the reviews section, you don't seem to have a review of Half Life 2, which I would consider a vastly important game - especially on a literary site with an interest in narrative and writing in general, areas where I think Half Life 2 really shines compared to most games.
At the moment there are only 4 of us working in the Games section. This means we have to rely on people such as yourself who have played the likes of Half Life 2 to submit a review for it. Don't forget that all users can submit game reviews - the game section works exactly the same as the others (literature, movies, etc).

Until the site grows some more and people are willing to help out in each section, it's really a case of the staff doing what they can and the rest left to user contributions. As mentioned before, there are four of us working on it - not a huge number for a site of this size - and thus we are bound to the fact that we can only produce so much in the way of reviews, news, articles and interviews. So keep in mind that anything you submit is grately appreciated and does indeed make a difference to the site (and to us) :)

Of course, I haven't really taken the time to fully explore that part of the site, so it could just be that I'm looking in the wrong places. Then again, if that is the case, perhaps there's a problem with the front page design and the way it leads readers into different articles? Or it could just be a problem with my eyes... :P
Dag (site owner/head admin) is not far off completing a new site design which will really clear up and simplify the front page. At the moment he is sorting out a new sffworld logo to accompany the other changes, and within the next weeks I think we can expect to see it in action.

Thanks for all the feedback, Tarn, and feel free to reply to anything we've said.

Tarn
September 25th, 2005, 04:15 PM
All sounds excellent to me, and I'd be glad to write a review of Half Life 2 - I'll look into that. I've also filled in the 'interested in helping out' form. I will have to peruse the games section more to get a proper feel for it first of course - is it only the latest stuff you're interested in covering, or would reviews/articles etc on older games (that haven't yet been covered) be of interest?

Looking forward to the site redesign!

Zanzibar
September 25th, 2005, 04:27 PM
New stuff, currently. The old will follow once we've achieved some success.

Monty Mike
September 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
is it only the latest stuff you're interested in covering, or would reviews/articles etc on older games (that haven't yet been covered) be of interest?
I know reviews of old games are certainly of use, though with the articles we try to write about more recent issues - take for example Kater's columns on E3 and Sainjon's article on Project Offset. Also, we take it in turns to write a monthly game column concerning the latest news and releases. This month's shall go up shortly and last month's (http://www.sffworld.com/mul/120p0.html) is already there.

Kater might have some more to say regarding reviews and articles, but from me that's about it ;)

Zanzibar
September 25th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Mike, you're making me look bad :).

Monty Mike
September 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Mike, you're making me look bad :).
lol, I keep trying to write a detailed reply incase you and kater aren't around and then as soon as I post I see you already did! :D :p

No harm in extra detail I guess :)