PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Authors WebRing?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Nathan Carter
March 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I just slapped together a free website, it seemed like the thing to do. And I was wondering, are there any existing webrings for aspiring writers?

If so, who do I need to threaten to be included?

Anyway... if you had a spare moment, you could view my site at:
nathancarter.8m.com

nicba
March 7th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Hi

I took a quick look at your site and scrolled down over your stories. It looks nice enough, even in spite of the commercials.

But there's something wrong with your horror stories, I think. Many of the sentences showed something like this:

“Who’s there!” he shouts.

(I'm using Internet Explorer 6).

Penumbra
March 8th, 2002, 06:34 AM
It looks good to me. The more graphics you use, the slower the response will be. Also, people tend to dislike ads so I wouldn't count on them being real helpful. I started my website with the intention of helping me publicize and sell my novels. Then I added stories and zine articles to help it along. I get a lot of hits, but the novel sales are disappointing because they are POD and I don't have the money it takes to get them reviewed by the pros or advertised where it counts. C'est la vie.

Nathan Carter
March 8th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Thank you very much for taking the time to look it over, I know those ads are a nuisance, unfortunaly I can't stop them, their part of any "free" site I have available to me.
Also, sorry for the text problems, I noticed those right away, It seems there is a problem when I try to cut and paste my stories in the HTML text boxes they provide. All parenthesis and apostrophes translate into funky alien code. I am working on the problem now.

Now... back to my original question... I know Penumbra has a page, I know nicba has one... perhaps we need to START a WebRing... hmmmmm...

nicba
March 8th, 2002, 01:01 PM
I don't know much about WebRings, I can't really help you about that, I think. My only advice would be to search the net and find a site which are already a member of such a ring and then send the owner an email.

And about starting a new WebRing, well... It's true that I have a webpage, but at the moment it is dedicated to my master thesis project. So therefore I don't think I will feel inclined to join such a project just yet.

Aside from this, I haven't got very much to show for my writing either.