View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
September 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Having got sick of waiting for this film to be release I decided to download it.

What follows is a brief review, with no real spoilers...

Well, much like the game the plot is pretty nonsensical but also quite sparse. I wonít go into detail but suffice to say it follows a similar theme as the game but is set around 2 years after. However, if you have never played the game at all or beyond disk 1 then the plot will make even less sense.

That said there is still enjoyment to be had from the film even if you werenít a hard core FFVII player. Visually it is stunning, not as good as FF: The Spirits Within, but still pretty amazing. The version I watched had pretty good subtitles, but there really isnít vast quantities of dialogue, there are however many great fight scenes.

Fight scenes make up at least 3/5s of the film if not slightly more and they are spectacular! The only negative point is that they largely, always involve Cloud Vs the bad guys and not many of the other characters get to see much action.

The score is a little odd, sometimes it works really well other times pieces of music seem out of place with what is happening on screen and other times itís just plain bad.

It would have been nice to have seen more use of materia and summon monsters, all of which feature but not to a great extent.

So over all, highly enjoyable for me as a Final Fantasy VII freak and I reckon that it would be of interest to anime fans as well.

My main thought after watching this film was; what if Sony Pictures hadnít screwed up The Spirits Within and used the budget to make it more like this film (i.e. sticking to a Final Fantasy style world Ė the combination of technology, magic and swords) and not gone down the stupid route that they did, how cool that film could have been!

Also, I don't know if anyone else has seen it or has heard why they wear this, but all the lead characters in the film have a red ribbon tied around their right arm. Any one know why?

saintjon
September 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe that's an Avalanche thing? I dunno. Thanks for the opinion though, I'll probably buy this one at some point.

IMO, yes that would have been a kickass film, so really anyone who thinks so should buy this Advent Children dealy for sure so actually make money this time around (or don't have a collosal flop at least).

Merancapeman
September 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Where can I find it? I've checked everywhere, but I just can't seem to see it in local stores and whatnot.

thefalcon
March 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Looking for it? Try Best Buy or Ebay.

This movie was great...if you're an avid FFVII fan. If not, you may find it a bit cheesy.
I thought it was amazing...the animation, the music, getting to see all the FFVII stuff again...

And lets just face it. You all know it's true, whether you want to admit it or not... Vincent Valentine is amazingly cool (And hot!) and Cloud is an idiot.

Yup, all the cloud fangirls are gonna kill me for this one, but you all know it's true.

That's why Vincent got his own videogame, and Cloud just got a movie. BOO-YAH!!

Ok, my rant is done...I've seen this movie about ten times, and ity is simply amazing. There are some great lines too...and alot of fanservice. Watch out for the TURKS!!!

thefalcon
March 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Maybe that's an Avalanche thing? I dunno.

Yup. Total AVALANCHE thing. After seeing this the first time, I...um...took a red ribbon, tied it around my arm, and walked around to see who would get it.

no one did. It was pretty embarassing.

gollumbells
March 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM
It is a good film, but they kept going on about "wheres mother" that was a bit lame because you heard that every 5 minutes.

saintjon
March 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
OH the ribbon thing! I had a total brain fart about it when I posted before. I think it was just a huge bone to the die-hard vid fans, usually they showed the ribbon at some point where the person wearing it should have been hurt a lot worse than they were, this being IMO because Ribbons usually are godly protective items in FF games. Don't leave home without it!

kron
March 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
This anime was inspirational to me as it had that loneliness of the main character among his friends, which appeals to my nature. That sadness emanating from him with the mystery of his past ... just sucking you in the story.

Kairi
March 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I liked that movie. Does anyone know what the name of the song that plays when Sephoroth comes on?:cool:

Merancapeman
March 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
As an avid Nobuo Uematsu fan, I know the song is called "One Winged Angel." I LOVE his music.

As an avid fan of FFVII, the movie.... sucked... It was a horrible spin-off from the game, that's all. Things popped out of nowhere that were never in the original game, things were inconsistent in the plot, and the story was led by a ridiculous theme (sure, the "geostigma" was an interesting way to link the game and movie together, but made the numbered, cloaked victims in the game less purposeful and more accidental than anything else). Sure, perhaps the idea of a bunch of kids turning into extra-strong mutants is on the verge of nightmarish, but there were a lot of cheesy and admitably poor choices to make the movie more like a "Wow, isn't that cool, daddy?" flick for the fans than the serious story it had been. The game was a motivational, thought provoking and immersive. The movie? It was more of an attempt to get all of the cast into the movie, give them a voice, and watch them duke it out in amazingly rendered 3D. Story wise, it's the equivalent of watching the Matrix sequels; cool to see a reunion (no, not THAT reunion) of characters and watch them kick butt, but spread thin with a story that didn't fit its predeccesor. Thank you, goodnight.

By the way, I LOVED the turks. Their comedy and Nobuo Uematsu's compositions made the movie fun to watch.