PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Steve Manning?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

peace
March 11th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Hi

Was wondering if you heard of a writter named Steve Manning. He says he can teach you to write in 14 days or less. Publish it to. His course is 300u.s. I need some feedback on this guy if he is a fake or a reproduction of someone else. I am just starting to write a book. I am learning from other sources...but this guy seems knowledgeable and authentic I think? His website is http://www.writeabooknow.com

nicba
March 11th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Hello peace

I took a glance at that site you linked to and - I'm sorry to say - that sounds like the most rubish I've heard in a long time.

Just look here:

Okay, these techniques arenít a fluke. Theyíre not the same old, same old. They are revolutionary strategies that will change the way you think about writing from now on. These techniques work for fiction, non-fiction, reports, even academic works (one of my students actually used them to write his successful Ph.D. dissertation in just 14 days)!

A Ph.D in 14 days? HA! Did it pass? http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

1. Talent: in order to write a book, the less writing talent you have, the easier it will be for you...

5. Writing ability: Do you know how to talk? Then you know how to write! Writing isnít like painting or sculpting or playing tennis. You donít need to spend years learning the basics and mastering the techniques. Youíve already done that as a child. Youíre already a master writer. I give you the techniques to make it happen!

ARGH! Anyone able to talk is able to write a novel? I highly doubt that! Tsk, tsk...

I have just one question for this guy: If his techniques really are that brilliant and if it really is that easy to write a top-selling novel, then why isn't he knocking Stephen King from the best-selling lists himself?

No. The thruth is (I think) that there's no secret 'trick' to becoming a writer. It takes talent, skill, lots of perseverance and simple, hard work.

The morale of the tale must be that, if one does not love the process itself, there are easier and more profitable ways to earn a living.

estranghero
March 11th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Hear,hear! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Moybin
September 22nd, 2002, 11:34 PM
I think there was a musical based on these concepts... Yeah, it was called "The Music Man"

There's a sucker born every minute, but nowadays with the Internet, make that every millisecond.

Caveat Emptor

milamber_reborn
September 23rd, 2002, 01:44 AM
Better to just read a crap load, write a crap load, enter contests, hound publishers and shell out thousands to an agent if you're ricvh.

choppy
September 23rd, 2002, 05:25 PM
I tend to stick with the old adage - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I think that 14 days is on the border of physically impossible. Consider:
- An average shorter novel would have ~ 80 000 words.
- going full tilt I can get maybe 1000 (original) words an hour
- if I'm really inspired I can manage to hold this pace for 4 hours
- if I can do this twice a day, that's 10 days of straight writing
- you also have to include time for - research, editing, rewriting, ironing out plot loops, feedback on early drafts, computer crashes, etc. . .

Okay, so 14 days may be physically possible, but this claim is like saying I can teach someone who doesn't run to complete a four minute mile.

That's not to say that there isn't anything you can learn. I once saw a sample of a program like this and it made a lot of sense because it introduced the essence of conflict in a story quite well. Is it worth $ 300 (US) ? Probably not.

For anyone looking to take a course I would suggest reading some of the teacher's work. If you like it and you think you can learn something from him or her then go for it. If you can't find anything this person has written - well it's your cash - and have I told you about this amazing gold mine in Nunavut I'm looking to get rid of?

Moybin
September 23rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
Be careful. The two largest Kimberlite pipes in the world were just found in the Northwest Territories. So gold in Nunavit is not beyond hope.

Now, if you would like to buy futures in my dilithium mine in the lunar highlands, let's talk!

sethian
October 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I am a published writer of a financial planning textbook, and was looking for a community college level course on writing popular nonfiction, because I felt that my writing was too formal and I didn't really know how to convert my factual writing into something more popular and readable. I found Mr. Manning's course online and was attracted by the fact that he lives in a neighbouring community, so I would be able to enforce his guarantee fairly easily if I chose to. Since purchasing the course I have read Holly Isle's (http://www.hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/scamspotting_letters.html) rather vicious and arrogant attack on his web site, without even examining the materials (she did subsequently receive and examine them) and several responses pro and con, before she closed the discussion - while leaving her original material online. I've also found a lookalike site at http://www.writequickly.com/author/, which appears to be similar material - who's cribbing who I do not know. However, I did order Mr. Manning's course and I have reviewed the 3 hour video presentation to the Law Society of Upper Canada as well as some of the material in the binder and have begun to use the material to produce a popular nonfiction book on personal financial planning, a field in which I have a professional designation. I have also had some very limited communication with Mr. Manning. My impression of the course is fairly positive. I would say that the quality of the material compares favourably with a community college course on writing popular nonfiction for writers with little to no experience. Many community college courses cost about the same amount as the course. I find the ideas and techniques interesting and motivational and I plan to use them in my own work. Basically I was looking for some sort of structural or formulaic approach to mapping out and writing a book, and this Mr. Manning provides. I don't know yet how useful his offer of personal assistance will be to me. So far he has been moderately responsive but certainly not extensively so. Mr. Manning appears to be primarily a writer of magazine articles so that may be why there do not appear to be a large number of books by him in print. I also understand that some people have had difficulty enforcing his very generous guarantee. Mr. Manning's advertising is very hyped up and personally this isn't my style so I do understand people's suspiciousness. However, I do feel his material has value and, while he is primarily a salesman, it does compare favourably with a community college course on the same topic, as I have said. As to his specific claims, writing a book in 14 days, this is a somewhat theoretical figure based on the writing component only - it assumes that 100% of the research has already been completed, but I do believe it is possible. His speed writing system is quite interesting in the context of the neuroscience of creativity and genius, which suggests that automatic, unconscious processes can be actually more intelligent and draw on more comprehensive mental resources than intellectually focused thought. Once again, however, this assumes that one has already done one's research thoroughly. I don't consider Mr. Manning's approach to be that applicable to fiction or novel writing, however, but this does not matter to me at all.

JamesL
October 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
No one can teach you to write in 14 days. I've been writing for about 7 years, have had some work published, and in my own experience the only way to get better at writing is to write.

Sure you can read books about writing, (I recommend Orson Scott Card and David Gerrold as two good guides to writing) but the only way you're going to get better at writing - and any author worth their salt will surely agree - is to write - every day, short stories, flash, novellas, whatever. The most important thing every would-be author needs to find is their own voice, and you won't find it by partaking in some dodgy course.

BrianC
October 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
(Well that (sethian) came out of left field . . . after four years . . . first post . . . carefully positive . . . so is that haddock or sole that I smell?).