PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting a story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kreschyboy
October 2nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hi, this is my first time posting on this website. Near the end of last year (8th grade) when i was home sick for a few days, i decided that i wanted to try to write a novel. i have always been a huge fantasy fan. i wrote some, and i think i got a pretty good beginning to it, so i kept writing. for about a month, (inconsistently), i kept writing on this story. i wanted it to be original, and as far as i could tell, (a personal oppinion) it was pretty much so.
I had pages upon pages of notes i had written for it, i have developed a magic system, invented mythical creatures to inhabit the land, their special traits/powers, and i had written about 10,000 words. But i went on vacation, and i just kind of stopped writing it. i got really into reading other books.
Anyway, the point is, i was cleaning out my closet the other day, and i found my notes, and a hard-copy of my story. Went back and read it, and i like it. i think if i followed up on it, it could turn into something good. My problem is, i don't know how to go about revisiting this story. should i re-write it? should i get someone to edit it for me? (anyone who would like to do this, i'll send you my story.) or should i just continue where i left off? i'm a bit lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

qonox
October 2nd, 2005, 03:40 AM
Since you have 10,000 words already written, I would just continue finishing this first draft and then go back when it's over to clean it up. But if you're serious about finishing it NOW, I would caution editing your 10,000 words before you continue. It'll only bog you down and perhaps disuade you from finally finishing your novel.

I would love to edit your work. Keep me in mind when you need someone to read it. My wife is a journalist and edits my stuff all the time. Between the two of us, we should be of some help.

Kreschyboy
October 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advice. i realized that one of the reasons i stopped, was because i didn't really know where i was going with the story. I plan to write out a bit of an outline, and find a way to factor in all of the notes about the animals, magic system, etc. and then i'm going to take your advice and continue from where i started.
Thanks alot

-Kreschyboy