PDA

View Full Version : Question for publishered writers in the UK!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mikanine
March 8th, 2002, 04:02 AM
I'm in search for a publisher as we speak! My book is relatively finished, just touching it up! 107,000 words in 4 months is a lot for me!

I got a 'reply' back this morning - well, more of a moan from the post office as I didnt put enough postage on it!

Anyone from the UK know of any decent publishers of fantasy? I'm looking at Orbit and Orion - but, is there any divisions within there that i should specify my letter to?

If you dont want to include any addresses here, please email me at mike.jeavons@talk21.com - thanks a lot!

Holbrook
March 8th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Hi, first postage, when you get your manuscript weighed at the post office, mention it is documents, these go at a cheaper rate even when sent first class. A rough guide 250 sheets A4 approx 5 inside UK 11 US and Canada...

700 sheets, 15 to 20 UK US 30

I am talking submission format i.e. double spaced no paragraphs split and taken over the page etc.

As for publishers either go to your local library and check out the latest copy of "The writers handbook" editor Barry Turner or buy a copy .It lists publishers for books magazines, agents etc in the UK and abroad.

Lists who accepts what, whether to send the full manuscript or the first three to four chapters, also gives submission editors names.

Also try the net, many small publishers both here and abroad have a site and most put on submission details.

Best
Holbrook.....

[This message has been edited by Holbrook (edited March 08, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Holbrook (edited March 09, 2002).]

Mikanine
March 8th, 2002, 06:43 AM
I have the writers handbook - its a handy little piece of kit to have!

There are some firms - such as Gollancz (Orion isnt it?) that arent listed, and i was wondering if anyone had their addresses?

Holbrook
March 8th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Victor Gollancz was taken over by Cassell in 1992 Cassell itself by Orion Publishing Group in 1998, all the details are in the Handbook under "Cassell"
Victor Gollancz, Orion House 5 Upper St Martin's Lane London WC2H 9EA

Hope that helps.

Best
Holbrook.
"Swords do not weigh 20lbs do the research and the rest is easy"

milamber_reborn
March 10th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Orbit does Jordan and Harper Collins do Feist and Tolkien, so they'd be hard to get accepted. Both aren't looking for unsolicted work i think. That means you need an agent or a reccomendation from a manuscript assessor.

Rob B
March 12th, 2002, 07:27 AM
From what published authors have said in general, an agent is very helpful.

Also, some publishers, for example Del Rey Books, does not take unsolicited manuscripts. Most publishers Web sites have submission guidelines.

I'd check out www.tor.com (http://www.tor.com) for their submission guidelines, which are the general accepted guidelines.

Robert Sawyer has a good little guide to submitting manuscripts on his Web site www.sfwriter.com (http://www.sfwriter.com)