PDA

View Full Version : Are your protagonists women or men?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

qonox
October 4th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I was thinking today that most of my screenplay ideas have women protagonists, and most of my novel ideas have male protagonists. But I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Which gender protagonists are you most comfortable using: male or female? Or maybe non-gender-specific alien?

Tari
October 4th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Non-gender-specific-alien!!! :D (actually i've done something similar b4)

I find i use a little of both. depends on what i'm writing. it's a good question though. i find when i'm in the mood to write stupid teen boppy sorta short stories my protagonist is female but with more seirous writing it's 50-50, usually or i have two protagonists: one male/one female. It's weird when you think about it.

My scripts are usually based on multiple pplz so it's slightly different . . . . or they hav no characters at all and no story line. Political mainly.

~ Tari

pcarney
October 4th, 2005, 09:11 AM
My main protags have always been men, except in my newest WIP. The problem Iíve had is that I really like to get Ďinto the headí of my main character, and Lord knows Iíve had issues understanding how women think (just ask my wife!). But I really wanted to try something new, so Iíve developed the female character. Iím doing my best to make her think differently than the men around her, even though she is just as capable. Iíll have to see how it comes out..

JamesL
October 4th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Most of my main characters are male, but I always try to work in an interesting female character as I want to avoid having an overwhelming male perspective.

tracyt1800
October 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Most of my main characters are male, but I always try to work in an interesting female character as I want to avoid having an overwhelming male perspective.

I do the same thing.

I try not to do too much thinking for the female characters. It didn't work for my first wife, it doesn't work for my girlfriend, I don't see how it could work for a character in one of my stories. :)

Beth Shope
October 4th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Ummm. Both. My current WIP has seven POV characters--4 women and 3 men. Various ages between 17 and 30.

~Beth

Holbrook
October 5th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Both. As to who is the main one, that depends, could be male or female... I tend, in my novels, to write about an "event" and the people caught up in it. Not so much the personal adventures of one character. The story might seem to now and then centre round one character, but that character has not been the driving force in the work, least for me, the idea was.

1st POV stuff is different, that has to be the narrator, least for me.

As for POV, I use which ever character I need too. Usually it's about 8 or 9 maybe more depending on the length and the complex nature of the work. I usually work in Omi third, slipping into limited third when I need to, or is it the other way round ;)

ira-shanna
October 10th, 2005, 07:10 AM
well~ the thing im writing write now~ has two, male and female~ and there is a lot of interaction between the two~

they help reflect sides of each others personality that other characters wouldnt normally get to see ^^

i have another character lined up to get a bigger part~ and she is female too ... but with a different perspective/personality/background to the first~ and has a totally different way of dealing with men.

They are both strong characters~ but in different ways.