PDA

View Full Version : Music when Writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RamblinManMike
October 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM
What do you guys think? Personally i listen to music CONSTANTLY while i write. Its as if i need something to occupy part of my brain while i do whats necessary.

Some essential artists:

Portishead
Radiohead
Audioslave
Led Zeppelin
Dire Straits
The Who
The Beatles
Coldplay
Rammstein
Pink Floyd
The Guess Who
Jethro Tull
The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan

I'm sure theres a million i missed. Lets just say most of my paycheque every month goes towards music and literature :D .

January Wolf
October 4th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Glad I'm not the only one that does this- but I have to listen to instrumental soundtracks (James Horner, John Williams are my two favorite composers) or classical music. If it has words, it distracts me.

Some my favorites to write by:

Star Wars Trilogy
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The Time Machine
Gladiator
Pirates of the Carribbean
Legends of the Fall
Troy

RamblinManMike
October 4th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I agree that some music can be very distracting, especially if its new, but i find that after i listen to an album 5-10 times i dont even hear it anymore. It just provides a mood or emotional state that helps me work.

For instance i will often listen to Radiohead - Sit Down. Stand Up. From the "Hail to the Thief" album 20 or 30 times in a row when i'm writing a darker scene just because it puts me in the perfect headspace. Then again, maybe i'm a little strange :) .

January Wolf
October 4th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Nope, I understand completely!

Kreschyboy
October 4th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I have been reading interviews/publications, etc. by professional fantasy writers lately, to help understand their process of writing. I have found that many authors find music distracting. One example i found when reading a discussion Christopher Paolini, Tamora Pierce and Phillip Pullman had ben having:

Pullman: It's not so much words that I might understand, as it is with Tamora; it's simply the rhythm. I can hear, very often, the rhythm of the next sentence before I know what the words are that go in it, and I will find words to fit the rhythm. Dum-dum-dum-da-DUM-da-dum - something like that, you see. I can hear the sound I want before I hear the words. If there's music playing, music of any sort, it's very distracting and I can't do it.

I find music distracting as well, but i'd be a liar if i said i could hear the rhythm of the words yet to come. That is a kind of mastery of this art that can not be achieved by mortal means.

*cough* *cough* sold his soul to the devil *cough* *cough*
Sorry, i have athsma

-Kreschyboy

pcarney
October 5th, 2005, 08:06 AM
I generally listen to one of the 'downtempo' stations on Shoutcast.com
http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?sgenre=Downtempo

Its good background music, and the film clips they play between songs are amusing.

Michael B
October 5th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I favour modern folk or Scottish. Steve McDonald, Ann Williamson, Garth Hewitt and Andy Stewart are all on the top of the list. The words aren't important just the sound along with some words to fit awkward breaks.

Can't play anything if I were to do any writing at work which naturally I wouldn't think of doing ;)

Tari
October 6th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I'm similar in that respect to J.Wolf. i need to listen to instrumental tracks whilst i write.

I enjoy

Lord of the Rings trilogy
Instrumental solos from my music course are also good
Pirates of the Caribean
Karda Eastra (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=22721071&Mytoken=F7544AFA-270E-4B63-BC15A74F15CD9B5E107096187)
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Titanic (the second soundtrack notthe original movie one)

Mainly movie soundtracks

~ Tari

SubZero61992
October 6th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Not long ago someone else made a thread about this, but I tend to listen to music that fits the current mood. FInal Fantasy music was great when I wrote fantasy, and normal music on the radio helps me sometimes.

Mark13
October 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
I choose music that fits the mood of my story. When I was working on a western story with supernatural elements, I listened to Ennio Morricone, 16 Horsepower, Myssouri and Fields of the Nephilim's Dawnrazor when writing about the villains, and stuff like Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins and Mark Lanegan while I was working on the heroes' parts.

Fields of the Nephilim's Elyzium, Dead Meadow's whole catalogue and Peter Gabriel's Passion are helping me with the atmospheric parts of a Sword & Sorcery yarn I'm working on now. I'm listening to High On Fire for inspiration with the combat scenes.