SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

choppy
October 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
It's less than a month to go...

I know a few people who post here also do NaNoWriMo. For anyone who's interested, November is National Novel Writing Month. The goal: write a 50,000 word novel before the end of the month. It's a 'plot by the seat of your pants' approach to writing.

It works for some. Not so much for others. I've done it the last three years and even though my final products are less than great, I've had a lot of fun. It's given me the opportunity to meet a lot of local writers.

Curious? The link is:
NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org)

Anyone planning to do it this year?

RamblinManMike
October 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Looks like a real pressure cooker. But, that being said, the less you think, the better you write. I bet they get some real interesting results out of that.

If i wasn't in the middle of a project right now i'd participate. Thanks for the scoop.

intensityxx
October 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
I just signed up for it yesterday! I don't usually post in the Writing Forum for good reason: I quit writing in college due to my perfectionist tendencies sabotaging me every time I tried.

30 years later it takes something like this to get me to try writing again!

Who else is doing it? Are you going to write as you go, or plan, plan, plan?

Richardb
October 24th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Did it last year, and have to say, if you want to write, you have to do this thing (and finish it) at least once. It truly pushes you past writers block with the basic concept that you just write, don't edit, don't even think too much, you simply don't have time in 30 days (especially assuming you have a day job).
It is a lot of work. I am really glad to have done it, but don't think I will repeat the process having done it once!
Maybe next year... maybe not...

whitesilkbreeze
October 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM
I've signed up to do it and I plan on doing it. Whether I finish it is another matter, but I can do my best!

I haven't got the faintest clue what I'm going to write about, so I will probably end up writing by the seat of my pants.

thecornflake
October 28th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I found out about this earlier this month and have signed up. The forums are really good, and after initially deciding on a fairly good serious plot, I found the dares thread (http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20&forum=150).

I have now taken 72 dares, and have got a full outline, dumping my plot in favour of an off-beat humour novel. so I'm ready to go. Can't wait until Tuesday!

And good luck to everyone else taking part.

Murrin
October 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I'm trying it, even though I've never written anything longer than 2000 words before.
I decided to do it because I thought it would help with my low output, and might force me to come up with ideas more quickly (always a problem in the past- less so recently). Hopefully I'll manage to at least get a finished story out of it, even if I don't meet the word requirements.
When I signed up I had no idea what I could write about, but within an hour an interesting idea just appeared in my head. The dares thread helped too - not the really strange or unusual ones (my story idea is fairly serious), but there are a few suggestions there that have given me ideas for scenes and peripheral characters.

Annessadav
October 31st, 2005, 06:25 AM
i've signed up- but i really think i'm too into the characters and plot i've been inventing, so- we'll just have to see...hey- any of you guys near Northampton. MA?

intensityxx
November 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM
Good luck to everyone! Today is the day!!

Donshyoku
November 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM
I've heard of this for a few years, but never joined nor did I get ready in time. This thread is a life-saver, I saw it on the forum last night and decided I had to do it this time. I am at 1,753 now, and hope to churn out more tonight. This is a busy month for school, but I hope to make time.

I really hope to get past my perfectionist tendencies and my lack of work. This will get me going if only for dignity's sake!