PDA

View Full Version : When you post a story or excerpt here...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mark13
October 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Are these stories you are planning to submit, or stories you just want to share? I'm just curious, because while I would like to get some feedback on a story I'm working on, I would hate to have it become 'public domain', or to have it declined by a publisher because it had been previously made available.

Holbrook
October 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Personally....

Most of the work I put up is either old or ideas I am playing with, or stuff that won't make it much farther. I am usually just fishing for people's thoughts on my style and ability so that I can improve both. You never stop trying to get better at what you do, least I don't.

I have put stuff I have submitted up on "private members only" critique groups, but only work in progress and that is normally considered differently to the open net...

JamesL
October 6th, 2005, 04:21 AM
It is probably not worth posting a short story that you are looking to have published, as some publishers count this as "online publishing" and it will cool their interest. Best to be careful. ;)

Mark13
October 6th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the advice. Holrook, can you recommend a good "private members only" critique group?

Dawnstorm
October 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
You can always do the "PM me if you want to read..." trick; that's not publishing, it's asking for advice. (I hope...)