PDA

View Full Version : Where do you write? (physical location)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

tracyt1800
October 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I have discovered that I get a LOT more writing done if I leave the house. I can write at home, but I never get into that "zone" at home. Too many distractions. The kids, the dog, the TV, the phone, the laundry, the dishes, etc.

I've been going to a little coffee shop and can crank out in 2 hours what it would it would take 5 or 6 evenings to accomplish at home.

I would prefer to be able to stay at home, though. I have stop whatever I'm doing at home, pack up my laptop, drive to the coffee shop, buy a cup of coffee, etc. Writing for 2 hours costs an extra 30 minutes of time just to get there.

Does anyone have suggestions for writing at home? Maybe locking myself in the garage?

Holbrook
October 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Well, our fourth bedroom has been turned into a study/storeroom, with two desks and loads of bookshelves and storage units....

The one computer with internet access and running Windows XP is in there so I write there, mainly in the mornings before I go to work (unless I am working whole, not half days) and at weekends.

Hope one day to have a lap top so I can work downstairs when another member of the family is using the machine.....

MrBF1V3
October 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Depends...

When I'm writing second or third (or fourth etc) drafts I have to be at my computer, in the living room. The best time is later in the evening, which relates to my inability to get enough sleep.

When I'm charting out, writing scenes or constructing a first draft I tend to do that in a notebook with real paper. The best place: I pretend I don't have a washer & dryer at home, and take the laundry to a laundromat. Lots of time, undisturbed (mostly), and a steady background noise.

So maybe at home, you can set up an uncomfortable chair next to the washing machine. :rolleyes:

B5

Tari
October 11th, 2005, 03:17 AM
I don't have much trouble writing with "distraction" or a particular place. i usually write in our study where two of our computers are but i find myself catching da bus into Freo adn sitting on the Cappucino strip having coffee and writing by hadn with pen adn paper. The park down the road is usually nice in summer too.

Hav you tried covering up the noise with music. I find instrumental pieces work well for writing but at night when everyone is home i lock the study door adn put the music up to write.

~ Tari

tracyt1800
October 11th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Have you tried covering up the noise with music. I find instrumental pieces work well for writing but at night when everyone is home i lock the study door adn put the music up to write.

I've had some success with that at home and a lot of success with it in public places. I have an instrumental playlist specifically for use while writing at the coffee shop.

I think my primary problem is mentally disengaging myself from the household responsibilities.

tracyt1800
October 11th, 2005, 09:23 AM
On Holbrook & MrBF1V3's suggestions ... unfortunately, I don't have a 4th bedroom and my laundry room is in the garage.

But I might try the uncomfortable chair and a TV tray in my bedroom as a makeshift office.

I do like the laundromat idea, too. I could accomplish two things ... my constant need to get chores done AND find time to write.

Thanks to everyone!
Tracy

SciFiGuy
October 11th, 2005, 11:27 AM
I write mostly while sitting at the computer, but lots of inspiration hits me when I do something else, like when I'm on the bus, or at work, or just taking a walk.

qonox
October 11th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I write on my laptop at home. I usually write after my son goes to bed. I get a good 2 or 3 hours a night if I'm lucky. I'm training myself to write with distractions during the day. If I can overcome this then I will have no excuse not to finish my current novel!

ShandaLear
October 11th, 2005, 11:59 PM
Beach and Starbucks at Barnes and Noble.

Plus I just got my Alphasmart, so I won't have to worry about battery life. I love my laptop, but I needed something more geared toward writing.

WOOHOO. :D

pcarney
October 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I am much more productive when I write at work (on slow days). With so many people around me, I fret about getting caught (not so much for the trouble, but because I don't want to explain what I'm doing). So I don't have time to hem and haw about every line I type. And I can actually crank out a couple pages quickly.
Unfortunately, I've been too busy to write at work lately. So I've been doing my best at home. There's so many distractions, but I'm working on simply ignoring them.